Discuss Google???? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm in the process of setting up my own website. I think its the future of advertising, so I'm going to give building a website a shot. What I would like to do when I've finished, is to be able for people to search for "electrician in surrey (or my local town)" for example and for my website come up on the map in the google opening page. Do any of you guys know how to go about doing this. I've read a little about google adwords is this how you go about doing it?

Any help would be gratefully received. I'm very much a novice with computers\ web site building so this is all relatively new to me.

Kind Regards

Tom

It won't happen for quite a while. You need to register on google places first, then the higher up your website ranks on the web results page, the higher up it will rank on the google places page. However, this isn't always true. google is often a very mysterious creature! :D

Hi TomWhere abouts in Audrey are you. I'm randomly on here researching and help a couple of clients I have in north London but I'm a part time web designer from near Gatwick. Quite rightly the previous posts mentions links etc. It's all about perceived size for google. If your website is mentioned (linked) on large websites Facebook, Google, linkedin, Twitter many times then your "pagerank" is deemed higher. So for example me doing this for my client ... please visit http://www.1stelectricalcontractors.com will create a link on the web that Google should see and its a case of the more the merrier! Signing up to forums with you website in your signature etc and submissions to directories are the best. Without sounding to sales happy I'm going to be doing this for two electricians already so I can add another to the list without to much cost. Just google pureginger if you want to find me!

You can pay a bloke a fee that has a deal with a warehouse full of workers somewhere in India. You get a room full of "workers" typing in your web page name all day until you appear in the first page of a google search. Or so I heard! PM me if you really want & I'll get the number off my mate. It worked BTW and it was about £150

Without wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, its important that having a website won't guarantee hundreds of enquiries or phone calls, in fact I think I've had more calls from people trying to sell to me than customers!

Sure get a website up and running as I do find that people do look at it - but normally after they've seen one of my adverts, one of my cards or one of my flyers or been given my details by a satisfied customer.

Good luck

Agree with Murdoch 95% of my work for years is through friends, friends of friends, word if mouth, repeat business and recommendation. Not got a web site.

Saying that it's gone deathly quiet.

Maybe I should get a web site :)

I have a site, it's on page 2 when you type in " Electricians in Liverpool " so it's not that hard to get a decent page rank, sign up to lots of free indexes and update your content regularly.
Ste

Well done, how did I miss that page 2 isn't page 1 .... Point being, my site is only a few months old and with out paying a penny, I have managed to get it to the top of page 2, it will be on page one in the coming months, all FOC.

I wouldn't get over worried about building inbound links, for relatively easy local search terms such as "Liverpool Electrician" if you get your onpage optimisation right you should quite easilly rank on the first page of google.
Take a look at Matt Carters Blog, the guys an affiliate marketer but knows SEO like nobody else I've seen on line, there is some really great free content about SEO on this part of his blog.
SEO | Internet Marketing Secrets, Affiliate Marketing Blog, Affiliate Internet Marketing
I hope this helps.

SEO for what might be considered 'niche' areas is a lot easier than going for the big keywords. So definitely focus on dominating your niche market before trying to trade up. It's quite geeky, but if you google SEO Moz, it's one of the best search engine optimisation sites out there. Best of luck!

I am ranked 3 on page 1 behind yell and up my street, you don't need to pay anyone to do this for you, just make sure you have the basic seo things done.
have the words "electrician surry" in text on your home page in a description of what you offer.
name each page of your web site properly not just page 1 etc but "electrician surry contact"
make sure each page has a correct name & html file name
name pictures such as "electrician surry cu" for a picture of a cu.
have link in your sig on forums.
join a couple of other forums and post on them to get you back links up.

it seems to have worked for me but it still won't mean you get a lot of business, i'm a bit in the sticks and round here they still ask the wise old woman down the road who to use. But when she has gone they may find the internet.

i use serif web plus for my sites, you can download a full version thats restricted to 5 pages free from thier site.

good luck

Thanks Guys,

I'll tkae a closer look at all the suggestions. The Mrs has managed to rope me into painting the house, so most of my free time is taken for the next week or so, but I will have a closer look shortly. Do any of you guys no of any decent books to read, to brush up on building a website, I've borrowed one from the library, but its extremely basic.

Thanks for your help again.

Kind Regards.

Tom Brooker

Reply to Google???? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net