Discuss Got to meet my first forum member yesterday. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title says, I got to meet my first forum member yesterday.
I had a problem with my upstairs lighting circuit that was tripping the breaker. I have no test equipment and didn't want to keep tripping the breaker by dismantling things and seeing if it pops again.
So I asked @telectrix if he could help me out. He got to the route of the problem. Of course it was the last cable in the circuit. Thanks so much @telectrix, it was a real pleasure meeting you.

That's why I love this place, there is always someone to help you out.

That's why I love this place, there is always someone to help you out.

Well I don't know any local guys who do domestic and with test equipment. Know a couple that have retired and got rid of their kit.
I would have put it up on the job forum site but last time I told a mate to do that he hardly got any response. He ended up going with a neighbours recommendation.
I also wanted someone I can trust. I trust @telectrix .

Yep I agree GMES, and well done Tel, not bad for an old en, the old ens are the best, 60 years of knowlege in Tel.

I had a problem with my upstairs lighting circuit that was tripping the breaker. I have no test equipment and didn't want to keep tripping the breaker by dismantling things and seeing if it pops again.
So I asked @telectrix if he could help me out. He got to the route of the problem. Of course it was the last cable in the circuit. Thanks so much @telectrix, it was a real pleasure meeting you.

We are waiting to see Tel on here, we want to know what state your Electrical Installation is in chuckle.

So I asked Got to meet my first forum member yesterday. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net@telectrix if he could help me out. He got to the route of the problem. Of course it was the last cable in the circuit. Thanks so much Got to meet my first forum member yesterday. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net@telectrix, it was a real pleasure meeting you.
did you both hug each other ,like best mates.
Got to meet my first forum member yesterday. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

right. don't think spoon will dislike me posting what was wrong. upstairs light circuit tripping MCB violently. Meter showed a reading of 1.2 ohms, L-E. splitting the circuit down revealed that the fault was after 3 bedrooms , leaving just the bathroom, which appeared to be last on the circuit. in attic, found JB close to bathroom light, 4 cables..feed, switch, load and 1 other -perm L-N-E. this last cable had the fault we could not see where it went due to attic being boarded. thought it may have bee a feed to a long since removed fan. leaving this out restored all lights ( we thought). landing light was on downstairs circuit and since I left, spoon reported that the landing light was not working. after some thought and spoon looking in the rose of the landing light, he found that the N feed was T/E with just the black used, L& E cut off. however, turns out that this was the unknown cable with the fault. for some reason the L was connected in the JB as well as the N and E, though the L feed to the landing light came from the downstairs, linked in the 2 gang hall/landing switches, as was often done back in the day. due to the distance (48 miles) left spoon to reconnect just the N in the JB. hope that all makes sense.

right. don't think spoon will dislike me posting what was wrong. upstairs light circuit tripping MCB violently. Meter showed a reading of 1.2 ohms, L-E. splitting the circuit down revealed that the fault was after 3 bedrooms , leaving just the bathroom, which appeared to be last on the circuit. in attic, found JB close to bathroom light, 4 cables..feed, switch, load and 1 other -perm L-N-E. this last cable had the fault we could not see where it went due to attic being boarded. thought it may have bee a feed to a long since removed fan. leaving this out restored all lights ( we thought). landing light was on downstairs circuit and since I left, spoon reported that the landing light was not working. after some thought and spoon looking in the rose of the landing light, he found that the N feed was T/E with just the black used, L& E cut off. however, turns out that this was the unknown cable with the fault. for some reason the L was connected in the JB as well as the N and E, though the L feed to the landing light came from the downstairs, linked in the 2 gang hall/landing switches, as was often done back in the day. due to the distance (48 miles) left spoon to reconnect just the N in the JB. hope that all makes sense.
In English please........ or is it painful to sit down and to type.

Landing light working now. Connected a Neutral to it.
Will cause a problem in the future, if I upgrade my board, but its working.

@Spoon

What are the odds, thousands of forum members and you pluck out Tel', never mind, better luck next time :D

I messaged him... I wanted someone I could trust.

Reply to Got to meet my first forum member yesterday. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock