Discuss Grill Door Trips Breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Bit of a strange one this, our oven of 8 years is causing the power to shut off when ever you open the grill door. Everything is fine with the Oven and the hobs.

If the oven is still switched on at the wall (Red Switch) and the grill is turned off on the oven, it still trips the electric.

Any ideas?

I agree with @Murdoch on the replace/repair stance. I got called to a faulty oven yesterday that was tripping the RCD. Neutral/earth fault within the oven, checked lots of stuff internally and no obvious cause.

With modern stuff its often much cheaper and cost effective to buy a new one if finances permit, by the time you get somebody to look at it and take it apart you could be looking at near enough the same cost of a new one depending on the type, make and size of the cooker.
If you can do without the grill its not too bad, but given the fault that is obviously present somewhere it needs fixing asap to avoid any further issues developing,

Most grill doors shouldn't be shut for grilling, so I wonder is it not a grill 'interlock' because you're closing the door on the grill? As a 'top oven' it may well be fine as it's on an 'oven' setting?

What is tripping - and RCD, or MCB?

The door might have an interlock to disconnect the supply when closed, and opening it would restore the connection. But presumably the grill control is off at this point.

But perhaps (wrongly) the grill control is switching the N instead of L, and opening the door connects the L. And the heating element has gone leaky to E, causing an RCD trip?

Yes , if the grill is the type that only is active with door open , the circuit will be made with door open . Looks like a faulty grill element

Yes , if the grill is the type that only is active with door open , the circuit will be made with door open . Looks like a faulty grill element

Yes, that’s right.

Before this fault, when ever you closed the door and it got say half way, you would hear a click and the grill would go out and would come back on when the door is fully open.

Anyway I can live without a grill for a while, look into getting a new oven in the new year... Thanks everybody for their replies.

think that'---- the nail fair and square,

Reply to Grill Door Trips Breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net