Discuss grommets and earth Sleeving are so over rated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I remember back in the 80’s, on a 1st fix we ran out of grommets, completing the 2nd fix the client noticed there were no grommets in the boxes .
They-refused to pay & I had to sit in a Court room with a judge,my gaffer & client & explain why I left out some of the grommeats out.
The final words were they detrimental to the install.
Send me to prison Now

I remember back in the 80’s, on a 1st fix we ran out of grommets, completing the 2nd fix the client noticed there were no grommets in the boxes .
They-refused to pay & I had to sit in a Court room with a judge,my gaffer & client & explain why I left out some of the grommeats out.
The final words were they detrimental to the install.
Send me to prison Now

You went to court rather than pick a box of grommets up???

God the amount of times I've seen (and may have used) bits of cut T&E sheath as grommets when in a fix! There really is no excuse, those vids should be taken down and the guys tools taken off him and melted into a big lump and given back to him!!

It always amazes me how local practices vary. If you go to any electrical wholesaler in SA and ask for grommets or earth sleeve I guarantee they won't have either. We always use compression glands for all cable entries (stuffing glands) and we never use earth sleeving in our CU's or accessories.

Quite a few pretty loud bangs and cracks in the video....making me jump....keep expecting to see a flash and smoke. I'm thinking that non insulated driver contributes.
On the other hand, the noises might just be a bit of 'nomming'......pork scratchings? ?

Last edited:
The backbox isn't fixed and it's in plasterboard, what a muppet.
I think you are missing the point with leaving the sleeving off though, that's how the backbox gets earthed!

It always amazes me how local practices vary.
Good point. I, m mentally prepared for the reaction to my next sentence?, but I, m not bothered at all by the absence of grommets providing... PROVIDING the sheath of the t&e extends in to the box.I would be very unhappy about lack of earth sleeving. The hole in the box is machined and you can comfortably run your finger around it. There are no sharp edges

Good point. I, m mentally prepared for the reaction to my next sentence?, but I, m not bothered at all by the absence of grommets providing... PROVIDING the sheath of the t&e extends in to the box.I would be very unhappy about lack of earth sleeving. The hole in the box is machined and you can comfortably run your finger around it. There are no sharp edges
It was an item of religion in my apprenticeship to always fit a grommet in a cable entry to a metal box. Always, always, always - no exceptions, ever. Normally a commercial grommet (pence) or otherwise a piece of TWE sheathing, nibbled round with snips to help it go circular. "Always fit a grommet" - and it's still my religion today!

Have to agree, in general,.....but I wouldn't fancy being dragged through one of those holes from any angle, at a rate of knots....?

On the other hand, are you saying that grommets need only be installed if the cabling is NOT done to regulation requirements? I know standards are going down but that's really taking things to extremes....carrying grommets around in case you 'make a mistake'.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that what I stated sounds like heresy to some. But I have never, ever seen a t&e cable damaged due to lack of a grommet. I have many times encountered problems resulting from unsleeved earth's and from live and neutral cores coming in to contact with the metal box for various reasons. Add to that the number of problems resulting from accessory screws nicking a live conductor. But problems resulting from lack of a grommet? Still have to experience that.

In IE are domestic cable drops run in conduit and bushed into boxes as they are in NI? Strange how an item that is essential in one part of the UK, would take half an hour to find on a van floor in another part.

Reply to grommets and earth Sleeving are so over rated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock