Discuss Grounding an off grid system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yr ys

-
Reaction score
Hi

System is victron quattro 10000 va inverter, 150 /70 mppt victron cc and 12 victron 100 Ah 12.8 V lifepo4 batteries wired as 51.2v 300 ah bank.

Should I ground battery minus, cc chassis and inverter chassis seperately with own ground rod or should I wire to ground bus bar in main consumer unit?

Also, solar system room is metallic. Should I bond to common earth or bond to seperate earth with battery minus, cc and inverter chassis.? If I bond battery minus and solar room would it be dangerous to accidentally touch battery positive while touching mettalic room?

Main consumer unit is 60 meters away from solar room and panels. Inverter is connected to consumer unit via 60 meter long 2 core 16mm cables and 10mm earth wire.

Picture of the solar room.
3U6L2QQOBQMF.jpg

Regards

what does the manufacturer recommend?
what is the code in your area?
and as far as any of the positive contacts to the batteries and inverters they should be insulated in any event

what does the manufacturer recommend?
what is the code in your area?
and as far as any of the positive contacts to the batteries and inverters they should be insulated in any event

This is what the manual says below. Also there is no code in our area. Just want to do things safely.

3.4.3 CAN bus interface
The charger is equipped with two CAN bus RJ45 sockets.
The CAN bus interface will be referenced to ground if the minus pole of the battery is
grounded.
In case of a positive grounded system, a CAN isolation module will be needed to reference
the CAN bus interface to ground.
To prevent ground-loops, the charge controller has an internal 33 Ohm resistor between
CAN-GND and the battery minus output of the charge controller.
The end of a CAN cable should have a bus terminator. This is achieved by inserting a bus
terminator in one of the two RJ45 connectors and the CAN cable in the other. In case of a
node (two CAN cables, one in each RJ45 connector), no termination is needed.

At a voltage >75 V, particularly with regard to the open circuit voltage of the PV array, the
solar system must be installed according to protection class II. A chassis grounding point is
located on the outside of the product. If it can be assumed that the grounding protection is
damaged, the product should be taken out of operation and prevented from accidentally
being put into operation again

It would have been interesting to get some more replies to this?

'Victron's 'Wiring Unlimited' is a helpful guide I have used for clarification of queries like yours for installing their products. I have only installed off grid Victron inverter chargers with a generator, PV array and 24V battery.

See Section 6.5 Isolation and grounding of Victron Equipment and match your installation to the examples given.

If in doubt call Victron or post a question on the Victron Community site.

Last edited:

Reply to Grounding an off grid system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net