Discuss GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

r.ali

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Level 3 student here looking to purchase a GS38 complaint voltage indicator and could do with your recommendations please.

I need a voltage indicator for safe isolation that is GS38 compliant so it can be used for safe isolation procedure and used on NICEIC competent person assessment etc.

Looking for something compliant, reliable and durable with continuity testing too that wont break the bank.

I've had a look at some Flukes but my understanding is that these are not GS38 compliant straight outa the box unless probe tips are purchased for them, also am I correct in thinking that the Flukes will also trip the RCD unless a specific testing procedure is followed? For these reasons I have counted out the Fluke but please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm looking at purchasing the Martindale VT28, which on paper so far looks to fit the bill and at £54 suits my budget. For the money seems like decent feature set. The features are as follows:

• 4 digit LCD display
  • Voltage Range: 12 - 690V AC / DC
  • LED Indication: +/- 12, 24, 50, 120, 230, 400, 690V
  • Single Pole Phase Test: 90 - 6390V
  • Phase Rotation Test: 100 - 690V
  • Continuity Range: 0 - 500kΩ
  • GS38 Caps: Removable
  • Standards & Regulations: BS EN61243-3 2010
  • Overvoltage Category: CAT IV 600V, CAT III 690V
  • Cable Length: 1.2m
  • IP Protection: 64
  • Auto Power Off
  • Torch Light: White LED
  • Power Supply: 1.5V AAA x 2
  • Dimensions: 258 x 73 x 23mm
  • Weight: 180g (with batteries)
Can anyone vouch for this tester, any reviews, advantages / disadvantages or anything else to watch out for?

All suggestions and general advice as-well as other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.

Hi all,

Level 3 student here looking to purchase a GS38 complaint voltage indicator and could do with your recommendations please.

I need a voltage indicator for safe isolation that is GS38 compliant so it can be used for safe isolation procedure and used on NICEIC competent person assessment etc.

Looking for something compliant, reliable and durable with continuity testing too that wont break the bank.

I've had a look at some Flukes but my understanding is that these are not GS38 compliant straight outa the box unless probe tips are purchased for them, also am I correct in thinking that the Flukes will also trip the RCD unless a specific testing procedure is followed? For these reasons I have counted out the Fluke but please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm looking at purchasing the Martindale VT28, which on paper so far looks to fit the bill and at £54 suits my budget. For the money seems like decent feature set. The features are as follows:

• 4 digit LCD display
  • Voltage Range: 12 - 690V AC / DC
  • LED Indication: +/- 12, 24, 50, 120, 230, 400, 690V
  • Single Pole Phase Test: 90 - 6390V
  • Phase Rotation Test: 100 - 690V
  • Continuity Range: 0 - 500kΩ
  • GS38 Caps: Removable
  • Standards & Regulations: BS EN61243-3 2010
  • Overvoltage Category: CAT IV 600V, CAT III 690V
  • Cable Length: 1.2m
  • IP Protection: 64
  • Auto Power Off
  • Torch Light: White LED
  • Power Supply: 1.5V AAA x 2
  • Dimensions: 258 x 73 x 23mm
  • Weight: 180g (with batteries)
Can anyone vouch for this tester, any reviews, advantages / disadvantages or anything else to watch out for?

All suggestions and general advice as-well as other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRUMMOND-M...537791802&sr=8-3&keywords=drummond+test+lamps
Plus a proving unit of course

I bought a Fluke T110, thats GS38 compliant tester, the tips are in the module that stops you stabbing yourself (must fit them one of these days). Its about £50 now days.

I also bought a Fluke case to keep nice & safe in.

I did have a Di-Log before that, but it only lasted a few years, before the leads became detached from the body. Whatever one you get, make sure that bit is quite robust, as it seems one of the achilles heal for all these testers.

You are wrong :)

I have a Fluke T150... it is GS38 compliant as it comes with probe shrouds that can be removed (like the Martindale). It can trip RCDs, when I want it to... by probing between line and earth and pressing a button on each probe that drops it's impedance such that around 30mA will flow through it.

It's not exactly been mistreated, but it's been dropped several times, walked on and used quite alot and it's all good. Over 2 years old.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely.

I bought a Fluke T110, thats GS38 compliant tester, the tips are in the module that stops you stabbing yourself (must fit them one of these days). Its about £50 now days.

I also bought a Fluke case to keep nice & safe in.

I did have a Di-Log before that, but it only lasted a few years, before the leads became detached from the body. Whatever one you get, make sure that bit is quite robust, as it seems one of the achilles heal for all these testers.

Midwest, does the T110 trip rcd's, I know some of them do. Im after a tester also

Voltage indicators have one job, indicating voltage The standard for 2 pole voltage indicators is BS EN 61243-3:2010 and came in force May 2013.

In June 2015 a revised edition of Guidance note GS38 was published which requires voltage indicators to be built to this standard. Edition 4 of GS38 also includes advice on how to use proper selection and maintenance of test equipment.

Whatever you buy, make sure it meets this standard

I have a T110. The RCD trip function has never worked. Now neither does the continuity or self test functions. There are recognised problems with the T series from Fluke. Steer clear.

I have a T110. The RCD trip function has never worked. Now neither does the continuity or self test functions. There are recognised problems with the T series from Fluke. Steer clear.
The thing I don't understand, is why would anyone want to buy a voltage indicator that does all you need one for is to measure if there is a voltage present or not, RCD function, why? when you have a function on your MFT for that purpose, continuity, why when your low resistance ohm meter does that as well, just saying, awaiting a backlash from members, who revel in these testers.

Absolutely. . one of these will comply. i have one myself.
GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. IMG_20180924_163545 - EletriciansForums.net Hey Pete! Here's my cheap, cheerful rugged, British made voltage indicator. Batteries neither included nor required. It does what it says. Detects voltage.

The thing I don't understand, is why would anyone want to buy a voltage indicator that does all you need one for is to measure if there is a voltage present or not, RCD function, why? when you have a function on your MFT for that purpose, continuity, why when your low resistance ohm meter does that as well, just saying, awaiting a backlash from members, who revel in these testers.

RCD function... in a board that isn't marked up, you can check for voltage, trip the board, check again and then go and lock off... all without moving :) It's a limited test function in that all it does is attempts to trip and RCD with a 30mA current. This function can also serve you when suddenly you get a voltage present you weren't expecting... say 50v neutral-earth.... you can apply the low impedance mode... if the voltage disappears it's a good chance it's a phantom voltage from inductive/capacitive coupling.

Continuity is useful for buzzing out circuits and testing fuses, bulbs, operation of switches etc. without the need to break out the big guns.

The other functions are useful as well, like voltage indication and phase rotation.

It's no replacement for an MFT (or separate dedicated instruments) but it can be a useful piece of kit for fault finding.

Absolutely. . one of these will comply. i have one myself.
GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Bugger Tel were on earth did you get that jobby ? I still have my intrinsically safe one, and no it aint for sale.

Thanks for all the responses so far, as expected a wide range of opinions, suggestions and personal experiences. Some of which are contradictory too.

So just to confirm do the Fluke indicators trip RCD's un-intentionally when you don't want it to trip or do you have to press a button for the RCD trip function to operate? Also are the Flukes GS38 compliant out of the box or do they require caps for probe tips to be purchased separately to make them compliant? The websites I have looked at dont seem to mention GS38 compliance for the Flukes wheres as they do for others hence why I ask this.

Finally anyone else have any problems with the Fluke as Andy78 has mentioned?

I didn't get it for the RCD function at all, just noticed it never worked. I personally don't see the point either.
Continuity on my voltage indicator can be very helpful when quickly tracing circuits or fault finding. I don't use it for continuity readings, just a beep to confirm continuity.

MFT comes out for all proper testing of course

Also are the Flukes GS38 compliant out of the box or do they require caps for probe tips to be purchased separately to make them compliant? The websites I have looked at dont seem to mention GS38 compliance for the Flukes wheres as they do for others hence why I ask this.

I have a Fluke T150... it is GS38 compliant as it comes with probe shrouds that can be removed (like the Martindale).

So just to confirm do the Fluke indicators trip RCD's un-intentionally when you don't want it to trip or do you have to press a button for the RCD trip function to operate?

It can trip RCDs, when I want it to... by probing between line and earth and pressing a button on each probe that drops it's impedance such that around 30mA will flow through it.

I have never had it trip an RCD unintentionally. If you look at the specification sheet for it under normal conditions (i.e. without the trip buttons pressed) it's impedance is way too high for a current of sufficient magnitude to flow through it.

As for the reliability, Andy isn't the first person I know of who has had an issue with it, but my own personal experience of it is entirely positive and I would buy another if mine were to expire.

RCD function... in a board that isn't marked up, you can check for voltage, trip the board, check again and then go and lock off... all without moving :) It's a limited test function in that all it does is attempts to trip and RCD with a 30mA current. This function can also serve you when suddenly you get a voltage present you weren't expecting... say 50v neutral-earth.... you can apply the low impedance mode... if the voltage disappears it's a good chance it's a phantom voltage from inductive/capacitive coupling.

Continuity is useful for buzzing out circuits and testing fuses, bulbs, operation of switches etc. without the need to break out the big guns.

The other functions are useful as well, like voltage indication and phase rotation.

It's no replacement for an MFT (or separate dedicated instruments) but it can be a useful piece of kit for fault finding.
Thanks for all the res-ponders

The main purpose of this for me as mentioned in original post is for safe isolation. Continuity confirmation will be nice to trace out circuits quickly / simple fault finding as Andy mentions.

Given the above, I don't know if I can justify the cost of the T150 fluke though.

Looking for something reliable and durable.

Reply to GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock