Discuss has anyone done EAL Level 3 NVQ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello so i've got a quote from training provider to do this NVQ

( EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical
Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the
Environment)
, but prior to the AM2 assessment & portfolio, i was asked to do 9 online sit in exams and i freaked out a bit

My understanding is that the online exams are to fill in any gaps that you may have in your Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications. In theory you shouldn't need to do any of them if you completed every unit in the Level 2 and 3.

hello so i've got a quote from training provider to do this NVQ

( EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical
Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the
Environment)
, but prior to the AM2 assessment & portfolio, i was asked to do 9 online sit in exams and i freaked out a bit
The level 3 EAL consists of 8x online exams, an AM2 practical and an NVQ portfolio. That’s why us sparks are the highest qualified of anyone on a building site. And earn lots of dosh.!!!!!!

My understanding is that the online exams are to fill in any gaps that you may have in your Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications. In theory you shouldn't need to do any of them if you completed every unit in the Level 2 and 3.
yeah i dont have level 2&3 on installing, however thats route i went with my provider, not sure if it is the best option out there, but is my only one for now

Hi, have you done it? what is it like ?
I’ve tutored it for many years, and it’s not the easiest set of exams.
It starts with Health & Safety, but progress's into the knowledge of electrical electron flow. Etc

If you were to do the quick course.
You’ll get taught how to put a probe on one end and a probe on the other end. Then take a reading.!!!!!
If you DONT get the reading your expecting to get You won’t no WHY….!!!!!!

That’s the difference between the short sharp course or the FULL course.

I’ve tutored it for many years, and it’s not the easiest set of exams.
It starts with Health & Safety, but progress's into the knowledge of electrical electron flow. Etc

If you were to do the quick course.
You’ll get taught how to put a probe on one end and a probe on the other end. Then take a reading.!!!!!
If you DONT get the reading your expecting to get You won’t no WHY….!!!!!!

That’s the difference between the short sharp course or the FULL course.
I just done these qualifications from EAL, and LCL

LCL Awards Domestic Electrical Installer (DEI) Qualification
Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings
Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations
Level 3 Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) Qualification
Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection & Testing
Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations

but i have no experience in industry i'll apply for some jobs as a mate or improver, then i will enrol for the NVQ level 3

I just done these qualifications from EAL, and LCL

LCL Awards Domestic Electrical Installer (DEI) Qualification
Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings
Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations
Level 3 Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) Qualification
Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection & Testing
Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations

but i have no experience in industry i'll apply for some jobs as a mate or improver, then i will enrol for the NVQ level 3
Hi Elezie,

Please tell me you didn’t spend your own money on this…!!!

What’s LCL????

You have a:-
Level 3 in Building Regs

In requirements for Electrical Installation

PAT testing -

Please answer me honestly….

What’s the difference between Zs & Ze,

That’s R1 & R2.???

What’s a dropped Neutral????

Is the outer wiring of an SWA better or not as an earth and why compared to copper.

Hi Elezie,

Please tell me you didn’t spend your own money on this…!!!

What’s LCL????

You have a:-
Level 3 in Building Regs

In requirements for Electrical Installation

PAT testing -

Please answer me honestly….

What’s the difference between Zs & Ze,

That’s R1 & R2.???

Is the outer wiring of an SWA better or not as an earth and why compared to copper.
Unfortunately yeah i did, i dont regret it though, i can still work as a mate/improver and then do the NVQ 3, but i dont have the time and money to spend another 5k for level 2, 3 diploma in installation (LCL is basically the awarding body for Part p certificate DEI 2022)

Unfortunately yeah i did, i dont regret it though, i can still work as a mate/improver and then do the NVQ 3, but i dont have the time and money to spend another 5k for level 2, 3 diploma in installation (LCL is basically the awarding body for Part p certificate DEI 2022)

Apprenticeship is still an option and, while employers may not receive any funding toward wages and training, there is funding available to cover course fees.

You've shown initiative in gaining qualifications at your own expence, which counts for something with potential employers and you also have the option of undertaking an apprenticeship as a sub-contractor (although check with individual colleges).

I could be wrong here, but those inspection and testing courses may be the EAL equivalent of City & Guilds 2391-50 & 2391-51, which employers are keen to see.

Being personal, how old are you & what type of electrical company do you pick up most of your work from???

What’s the difference between Zs & Ze
Zs is the system's (or individual circuit's) EFLI and Ze is the external EFLI. Zs = Ze + (R1 + R2) can be used rather than Zs testing each circuit individually.
That’s R1 & R2.???
Continuity of line and cpc. Little r1 r2 is for ring final circuits and is measuring end-to-end at the CU.
Neutral has come out / has no continuity in the circuit.
Depends how much armouring there is, but on a like-for-like CSA it's worse because it's a worse conductor so the resistance is much higher. Not ideal for a protective conductor.

I like these tests Penguin. Although it does make you more like The Riddler. Still, rather Jim Carrey than Danny DeVito.

Last edited:

Reply to has anyone done EAL Level 3 NVQ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net