Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

there are 5 options I can see.

1. rated by your customers (Original Poster)
2. rated by your peers
3. rated by the moderators/staff
4. a combination of above
5. not rated at all

I wonder if this may be a poll worth posting?
I understand this is not a democracy, but it might help the staff to get an idea of what people are looking for.

there are 5 options I can see.

1. rated by your customers (Original Poster)
2. rated by your peers
3. rated by the moderators/staff
4. a combination of above
5. not rated at all

I wonder if this may be a poll worth posting?
I understand this is not a democracy, but it might help the staff to get an idea of what people are looking for.
Nice. Post it see what happens?

I’ve been on loads of different sites for all sorts of trades over the years and have settled on this one in its previous format as my favourite, not saying I don’t like the present format, it has a great mix of knowledge and banter which only improves the more you get involved, I like the badges titles etc and think the site works just fine, I’ll agree there are some people who are a little aggressive in some posts but that’s life......maybe new posters should only be exposed to members proven to help in a positive manner?

I’ve been on loads of different sites for all sorts of trades over the years and have settled on this one in its previous format as my favourite, not saying I don’t like the present format, it has a great mix of knowledge and banter which only improves the more you get involved, I like the badges titles etc and think the site works just fine, I’ll agree there are some people who are a little aggressive in some posts but that’s life......maybe new posters should only be exposed to members proven to help in a positive manner?

I love the idea but think it might be hard to implicate.

I love the idea but think it might be hard to implicate.
I’m sure @Dan could make it happen, solves everything in my eyes, new/1 question posters who probably ain’t used to building site etiquette are safe n sound and the regulars continue in our blissful haze :)..........

FREE THE @telectrix ONE!....

Always given me sound advice without being aggressive ;)

Edit.....especially if you lucky enough to catch him sober :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
can someone who is better than me ( one of many ) please post a link to my poll on this thread.
PLEASE xx

I see this principally as an electricians forum for ....electricians. While it may say in the blurb advice forum it is not. For two reasons; 1. those wishing to advise can only go so far and we are stuck at invariably "get an electrician"
2. Suspicion on motives of OP and cynicism often result in upset OPs'. The main body is electricians talking with other electricians. Of course on your part @Dan it would never do to keep it just electricians as the forum membership would be too small for you to attract sponsors I guess. So you have to entice in a wider audience. So you have electricians who are not necessarily diplomats and saints just ordinary tradesmen sometimes behaving in an unpleasant manner. I don't think there is any way to regulate that dynamic as sure you can auto ban, but like the hydras head ten more will appear to replace the nasty ones.
Perhaps you could have it set up so that if people downvote or put a strike against an answer 5 (10??) times the post auto disappears, along with your auto ban then the poster would disappear? This would releive your moderators and allow a natural justice to prevail??? Pertinent to which I have had posts removed not for being rude but too much information. So if I did that three times do I get an auto ban?

Last edited by a moderator:
Further catering to snowflakes is a possibility if you take this to its logical extreme would be a consequence of over regulation. As well I am mature and have had my moments of acerbity directed at me/my words and I can take it on the chin I really don't feel I need you to save me. I can withdraw or redact as a fail safe. So getting the balance right is no doubt a tricky thing!

I see this principally as an electricians forum for ....electricians. While it may say in the blurb advice forum it is not. For two reasons; 1. those wishing to advise can only go so far and we are stuck at invariably "get an electrician"
2. Suspicion on motives of OP and cynicism often result in upset OPs'. The main body is electricians talking with other electricians. Of course on your part @Dan it would never do to keep it just electricians as the forum membership would be too small for you to attract sponsors I guess. So you have to entice in a wider audience. So you have electricians who are not necessarily diplomats and saints just ordinary tradesmen sometimes behaving in an unpleasant manner. I don't think there is any way to regulate that dynamic as sure you can auto ban, but like the hydras head ten more will appear to replace the nasty ones.
Perhaps you could have it set up so that if people downvote or put a strike against an answer 5 (10??) times the post auto disappears, along with your auto ban then the poster would disappear? This would releive your moderators and allow a natural justice to prevail??? Pertinent to which I have had posts removed not for being rude but too much information. So if I did that three times do I get an auto ban?
That's not the case. It isn't about sponsors. It's certainly about making sure it's not for the few though.

Well thought out post.

Food for thought.

The tag though? Is it right? You're saying yes then?

Be nice or sod off.

New members shouldn't be treated with kid gloves.

There was a person on here a week ago crying about a previous electrician who did a botch job.

It later transpired that they were scrimping on every penny and kept whining how they were a victim.

After about 4 pages of being politely told to get a spark in, the forum collectively told this poster to sod off.

Further catering to snowflakes is a possibility if you take this to its logical extreme would be a consequence of over regulation. As well I am mature and have had my moments of acerbity directed at me/my words and I can take it on the chin I really don't feel I need you to save me. I can withdraw or redact as a fail safe. So getting the balance right is no doubt a tricky thing!
Behave lol - just saying snowflake and you're confirming to somebody else's theory. Daily mail reader by chance?

Ok so (speaking from my box:confused:) Does "a member" get banned if their post is removed three times for reasons other than being rude @Dan? I can see how that original question may have been misunderstood.

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net