Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That was tongue in cheek as well as fact btw. :)

I'm not here to cause a stir.

I am here to fix an issue that isn't being fixed it's self.

That's all.

Help me help you. It's not just a case of new DIYers.

It's new sparks. And trainees. They aren't looking up to you like you think they are.

We have tripled in size since we last had this argument over a year ago. And it's the same dozen arguing back. I've installed the ejector button now. Just pull the rope and do us all a favour.

You can make a facebook group for free and not have to deal with newbies. You can ban them all yourself. Why don't you just do that and leave the forum for the sound blokes?

Aye but who are the 'sound blokes'
New posters/members....who do you believe or trust? As rap says, some are just out for 'doing' the trade because they need a way to do things themselves.
Even Sky have jumped and decided to look after their long term members. We've already lost one valued member...... although I didn't always agree with Spin, he certainly new his stuff.
If people come out with rubbish, often dangerous, others should be able to tell them so…….IMO.

I’m sure @Dan could make it happen, solves everything in my eyes, new/1 question posters who probably ain’t used to building site etiquette are safe n sound and the regulars continue in our blissful haze :)..........

FREE THE @telectrix ONE!....

Always given me sound advice without being aggressive ;)

Edit.....especially if you lucky enough to catch him sober :tearsofjoy:

Shouldn't that be #freethetelrespectix ?:p

Personally I think titles more liking to member’s experience would be suited. ‘Time-Served’, ‘10+ years Experience’, ‘Short Course Qualified’.

But then you'll get the 6WWs complaining they're being victimised, no? I'll admit if I had the cash-on-hip I'd go down that route but in a profession that works better on/with experience, college/apprenticeship seemed the better offering.

Bow to your respected member you scum bag !

Attachments

• school master.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 6
See - I think those who are saying electrical trainee, and whatnot are the ones that need to move on. We did that in the naughties. It's 9 frigging years latter and we still haven't accepted that it's a hard trade to get into as an existing skilled worker. So there are going to be half a dozen ways into it.

If it's staying, it needs another name. And half the people who have it need it taking off them.

Those with the mentor tag that aren't being professional on here need to lose that too perhaps?

And then maybe we step back let the forum run and see what complains come in again over a few months and see how new users are reacting to it.

I do backup the forum members you know. When the newbie member is out of line there's no way I back them up, they're probably other forums winding this one up and know which strings to pull.

And similar to the plumbing forum, DIY trying to touch Gas and get advice on that, it just can't be done. That brings me legal issues. So I'd never backup a DIYer whos attempting to touch something they shouldn't.

But there's a way we go about it. I know it's tiring when you clock a DIYer time after time and tell them get a sparks in, and you get cocky.

But ideally - we want them to use a sparks from this forum. So when I've sorted the directory out again, we want to be professional, and link them to that so one of our guy gets the job.

There's just a way to go about it. And again I'll say it, this isn't reddit or facebook. You can't just say what you want. Not all the time anyway.

Food for thought.

See - I think those who are saying electrical trainee, and whatnot are the ones that need to move on. We did that in the naughties. It's 9 frigging years latter and we still haven't accepted that it's a hard trade to get into as an existing skilled worker. So there are going to be half a dozen ways into it.

If it's staying, it needs another name. And half the people who have it need it taking off them.

There is a huge distinction between two things you have mentioned there that, as a non electrical worker, you may not be aware of.

Existing skilled workers getting qualified is completely different. Routes exist for them to apply previous quals and to study towards NVQ3 level. Compressed courses also exist to deliver the proper quals in a short period on a full time basis. These are typically a few months but deliver the same study hours as a one day a week course over several years and result in the same quals.

Electrical Trainee courses welcome in anyone with no experience and deliver a collection of add on courses that are easily delivered and passed to provide the illusion of competence through numerous certificates. These courses would not necesarilly aid an experienced worker getting the quals they need to further their career.

So maybe that needs noting via badges. And perhaps even split them off into different forums altogether. At point of registration.

Maybe a drop down box. So they can't pick more than one. And can't change it once registered...?

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net