Discuss Hello lads - Young Spark here in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DancingRadio

Right, i am currently just starting the first year of my 'time' which will take 4 years to complete. I will be qualifying with a HNC in Electrical Engineering aswell as completing all the other relevant qualifications along the way (17th edition etc) which will be paid for by my company.

Basically time seems to fly now for me and i can see these 4 years going by very fast. Although the job im doing now is ideal for an apprenticeship as they will pay for all my tools, exams etc it is not really what i want to do once qualified. It is quite boring and not hugely well paid and is more of a job to do at the end of your career as a spark rather than when you are younger.

I am looking into different options to look at when i finish and want to try and get it all sorted for then and be well prepared. Thinking of lots of different things - job in OZ, work down in London, on the Oil Rigs..etc..etc?

Any advice on a good career path to take as an electrician starting off would be great! Cheers lads and hope to be on here more often now im registered :)

Hi there :)

In the 4yrs are you gonna do ONC before HNC (might not be called onc anymore) as well as city and guilds etc?

If so your gonna be busy lol if you need help you have come to the right place :) currently in second year of HNC myself (not elec engineering, mex engineering) if I can lend a hand give me a shout

Having spent a day in London earlier this year (my youngest son looking to work in Australia or New Zealand) I would advise anyone thinking of working "downunder" to go to Australia House and/or New Zealand House to discuss things with them.

The basic requirement, as well as the recognised paper qualifications, is twelve months, fully qualified practical experience (this can be flexible if it can be shown that you had practical experience whilst obtaining your qualifications), you also have to take an exam over here to allow you to work as a sparks over there, this being available to be taken twice a year.

There are lots of other options which can be played about with regarding visa type etc and how you go about finding work over there and being honest New Zealand House was a lot more helpful and friendly than Australia House.

There are a lot of opportunities out there and a lot of people looking to cash in on that fact. We also went to a "Migration exhibition" and there were loads of people there who would help you get your visa, a job, etc. (no guarantees though) and would charge you a pretty penny for it (in advance). Mind you there was also a very helpful group there who have guided my son through things since then and that was the New South Wales Government.

Good luck with your course and with your future.

I finished a 4-year apprenticeship and gained an HND in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (and later on a BEng(Hons)).

From my experience the City and Guilds qualifications (236, 2330) are recognised more for electricians than ONC, HNC/HND etc. I say this because I wish I had taken the C&G first rather than straight onto BTEC.

If you think of a suitable job for a sparky with higher level qualifications please let me know I would like to find my ideal job someday.

Reply to Hello lads - Young Spark here in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net