USA HELLO

Discuss HELLO in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello sparkies
I have stopped by because i have a slight problem in my house.
I am a master plumber, I have worked with you guys for years,
I hope you would be so kind as to steer me in the right direction.
when my AC kicks on, my lights blink.
From what I know, that aint good.
I have a 200 amp service so that is not the problem
any guesses as to wth is up?

HELLO stuffed - EletriciansForums.net

Hello sparkies

View attachment 52120
If I have to guess
Hello sparkies

View attachment 52120
Hello sparkies

View attachment 52120
If I had to guess I would say there is a loose connection, I don’t what size unit you
Ok..I will check the breaker box. tighten up the connections and report back tomorrow around the same time

thanks man.
frod you be careful and turn off breakers while checking

Hello sparkies

View attachment 52120
Is the wiring to the A.C sized correcrly? sounds like you may have a Volt drop problem in your House

yes sir, it is a big --- orange wire. 10/3 if i remember correctly the unit is a 3 ton unit
" A big --- Orange Wire 10/3" can't seem to find that a cable of that description in the Regs Book!!! Don't think many Electricians over in the UK will be familiar with it either.

What size motor is on your AC and how is it controlled IE powered direct (DOL) to bring it on instantly or speed controlled to ramp it up?... it is not unusual for the inrush of a motor DOL to cause local flickering although we do have regulation over here about this and adding transients to the network which may effect other uses.

It is quite possible your local distribution Network feeding your property is already heavily loaded thus making the inrush of your A/C show up annoying side effect, if this is the case there are options to suppress this but not really cheap.

This is all assuming the previous suggestions of a loose common point in the system is not the cause.

What size motor is on your AC and how is it controlled IE powered direct (DOL) to bring it on instantly or speed controlled to ramp it up?... it is not unusual for the inrush of a motor DOL to cause local flickering although we do have regulation over here about this and adding transients to the network which may effect other uses.

It is quite possible your local distribution Network feeding your property is already heavily loaded thus making the inrush of your A/C show up annoying side effect, if this is the case there are options to suppress this but not really cheap.

This is all assuming the previous suggestions of a loose common point in the system is not the cause.
Frodo have you check your connections yet. I have a 3 ton unit myself and my lights don’t flickers it’s not a big load. I suspect that your problem is in your main panel
[automerge]1568371901[/automerge]
" A big --- Orange Wire 10/3" can't seem to find that a cable of that description in the Regs Book!!! Don't think many Electricians over in the UK will be familiar with it either.
How are doing today Pete

Last edited:

Reply to HELLO in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock