Currently reading:
Hello

Discuss Hello in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

ninbelindur

Hi guys, I`ve just joined.
I`ve been working for a friend of mine for years at weekends etc, doing installations, and due to impending redundancy, I`ve decided to get myself the 17th edition qualification and certification from Elecsa.
I`m looking on some advice on what tht Elecsa people are looking for when they come and check one of your installations and what kind of questins that they will ask me, maybe there are already threads on here people can direct me to ?
I am based in the south manchester area, and my mate has decided to take someone on full time, so if anyone needs a hand, I`m looking for a bit of work also.

Hi, no I`m no just throwing myself in like that, I`ve done loads in the past, so I`m quite competent, I`m just doing the course to get the qualification really.
I`m not looking to do big jobs, I`m hoping to get another day job and do little bits and bobs, but I want to become certified, more for my own peace of mind really.

welcome anyway im new also, have you done your 2330(or 17th equivalent), nvq lev3, am2 etc? only asking because most sparks ive seen on here dont agree with the schemes to allow anyone become a domestic electrician myself included so id expect a few negative responses lets say. what quals have you got?

Hi, I haven`t got any formal qualifications to be honest, i can understand the attitude against unqualified people as it can dilute the trade, however, I have got a wealth of experience and I am not planning on doing big installations, so I have decided to do a course (not decided which yet, anybody any ideas ?) to gain the 2382.
I then plan to become affiliated to Elecsa and also want to do the 2391 exam.
I am pretty up to date with the regulations and testing, but would prefer to have the formal qualifications, I was hoping to get some advice on the Elecsa side of things.

fair enough id try and do the full 2382 course and do the am2 and then go on to the 2391 also the nvq3 or the new replacement of the nvq if i was you,
and if your working with a spark and can afford the one day a week off to go to college great youll be much better off for it but good luck mate

Thanks for the advice, I`ll look into it now I know a little more.
Don`t think I`ll be able to enrol on a course and be able to have the regular time off to do
it that way, so I`ll just have to try and read up a bit more at home.
Good luck to you as well !

Hi and welcome to the forum, hope things go well with the plan.
Registering with Elecsa they will come to your office and assess the paperwork you have done for installations and check that you have the relevant reference books, Health and safety policy, insurance (I think). They will then ask technical questions to assess your level of knowledge. then you go out on site to assess the quality of work you have done to ensure you are working to the regulations and they will ask you to perform some tests on the installed circuit to asses your capability and compare the results with your certificates. If you get everything right you are in (once you have set up the DD to pay them!).
If there are small mistakes you can rectify and send proof of rectification.
Bit nerve racking but generally OK if you are competent and confident.
Have a cup of tea and biscuits ready!

Reply to Hello in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back