Discuss Help - Had some work done in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the correct place for this. My hubby and I had a rewire done and realise now that the landing and hall light are both on the downstairs lighting circuit. Is this right?

We had the lights set up so you can switch on/off both hall and landing lights independently.

Upstairs: can control both lights (socket with two switches)
Downstairs: can control both lights (socket with two switches)

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place for this. My hubby and I had a rewire done and realise now that the landing and hall light are both on the downstairs lighting circuit. Is this right?

We had the lights set up so you can switch on/off both hall and landing lights independently.

Welcome to the forum.
Unless the electrician has be told different, I would have thought the operation of all light switches should have stayed the same after the re-wire was complete.

Are you saying that you now have some light switches that switch nothing?
If so, then I would point this out to the electrician and ask him to correct the mistake.

All the lights work ok, its just that when we switched off the upstairs light circuit to change a light bulb the hall light went off as well. It looks like that is on the wrong circuit?

Personally I would have put the landing light on the upstairs lighting circuit and the hall on the downstairs circuit. Both ways slightly increase the risk to anyone working on the circuit in the future as they may make an assumption that something is dead based on it's location.

For example, with the landing light on the downstairs circuit, someone assumes the landing light is on the upstairs circuit, turns that off, doesn't check for dead and gets a nasty surprise when they work on the landing light fitting. Likewise with it on the upstairs circuit, someone assumes it's on the downstairs circuit, turns that off, doesn't check for dead and gets a nasty surprise when they work on one of the switches.

Both ways are acceptable (i.e. on one circuit or split across two), if you are at all concerned put a little sticker on the consumer unit to remind anyone in the future.

Are you saying that the lights operate correctly but the upstairs light is connected to the circuit breaker labelled as being downstairs?

Are you saying that the lights operate correctly but the upstairs light is connected to the circuit breaker labelled as being downstairs?

Yes, sorry, I'm probably not using the correct terms. When we switched the circuit breaker labelled "upstairs lights" they all went off upstairs and the hall light went off too. The other lights in the living room etc were still on. We did laugh and think it was a cowboy move but it seems that its actually ok. I would ask what a borrowed neutral is but I think that's above my changing a light bulb skill set.

All the lights work ok, its just that when we switched off the upstairs light circuit to change a light bulb the hall light went off as well. It looks like that is on the wrong circuit?

No, not on the wrong circuit, each circuit can have whichever lights the electrician chooses on it. There is no rule requiring a circuit to do upstairs and downstairs. You could have a seperate circuit for every room or split the circuit front and back of the house.

Having the hall light on the upstairs circuit has probably allowed them to keep only one circuit present at the switches thus making it slightly safer for an unsuspecting filter trying to change the switch.

No, not on the wrong circuit, each circuit can have whichever lights the electrician chooses on it. There is no rule requiring a circuit to do upstairs and downstairs. You could have a seperate circuit for every room or split the circuit front and back of the house.

Having the hall light on the upstairs circuit has probably allowed them to keep only one circuit present at the switches thus making it slightly safer for an unsuspecting filter trying to change the switch.

So long as its not going to burn down the house. We did hope that it was some cowboy quirk we could laugh about but looks like it is a legitimate way to do things.

it's basically because the landing light will have one of the 2 way switches downstairs, probably within a 2 gang switch which also switches the hall light. he's done it that way so as to have only 1 circuit in the switch/es, so you can have it either way. hall light with upstairs, or landing light with downstairs.

Ideally there should be a circuit schedule on the distribution board explaining what protective device covers which accessories.

Always worth practising safe isolation when working on any electrical circuit within your home: Safe Isolation | -----------.co.uk - http://www.-----------.co.uk/Safe_Isolation_procedure_for_dead_working.html

You could always just add a note to the upstairs circuit breaker description ‘inc downstairs hall light’ so that the next electrician knows it’s on the upstairs circuit.

As Des 56 says it can be a useful if your "downstairs" lighting protection device should trip you are not entirely left in the dark and vise versa. As been mentioned I'd just put a note next to the consumer board.

This was how we where shown to do it many years ago back in college. Landing light on downstairs lighting circuit, hall light on upstairs lighting circuit. Even more helpful nowadays with RCBOs tripping when a lamp blows.

Always a contentious point due to the stairs/landing light(s) being switched from ground floor and first floor (2way).

Reply to Help - Had some work done in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock