Discuss Help needed, is this correct? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ASH77

-
Reaction score
I have a two 32mcb in the c/u. I thought one would be for the upstairs sockets and one would be for the downstairs sockets but they are not.

both require switching off to cut off power off to both upstairs and downstairs sockets!! is something wrong with this?

each 32mcb has only one live exiting, surely you cant have a ring circuit from one mcb to another, it should exit and return to the same mcb, shouldn't it?

Could be they’ve split it front to back....had that a few times on old terraced houses...

Edit....sorry just read the post properly ignore me

Hi Pete, Im not an electrician, I wish I had your know how. The cables are 2.5 t&e, black and red.

I did an EICR on a large house last year .......... all the 32A breakers had 2 cores ............ unfortunately, none of them were paired correctly :(

get an electrician in to see what is going on, from first appearances, this is both wrong and under overload conditions could be potentially dangerous.

Sometimes you will get legs going to feed upstairs then en route they drop down in a chase to downstairs sockets.
Best way is with a plug in tester, switch one MCB off and mark which sockets are off with that one, then do the same with the other.
Mark it on the socket or on an A4 sheet and stick it with the consumer unit.
It’s the way it is sometimes.

Sometimes you will get legs going to feed upstairs then en route they drop down in a chase to downstairs sockets.
Best way is with a plug in tester, switch one MCB off and mark which sockets are off with that one, then do the same with the other.
Mark it on the socket or on an A4 sheet and stick it with the consumer unit.
It’s the way it is sometimes.

did you read the OP?;)

I had the same problem in a house on my street. Needed 2 MCBs turned off to isolate any sockets.
Legs of the rfc’s Mixed up in the board.
Note: it’s not a diy fix. You need the proper testers to identify what should be where

We see this quite a lot on the houses that we test, also see supply and load mixed up at fused spurs. Switch the spur off and the ring is broken.

Reply to Help needed, is this correct? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock