Discuss help with wiring of timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Sorry for being such a simple question but just need help attaching wires in correct location. Right now have a simple off/on switch and want to replace with a timer. The switch now controls a light and it is the only one connected for it. so somewhat simple but.....I am just not sure on which to connect where off the switch to the timer? I attached photos so if anyone can help me out, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• help with wiring of timer switch 1 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch 1.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 30
  • help with wiring of timer switch 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch 2.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 30
  • help with wiring of timer switch 3 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch 3.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 28
  • help with wiring of timer switch4 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch4.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 26
we have a few US members. they may be better to advise than us UK sparks. as it looks, you probably need a neutral to the timer as well as a line in and line out. my first advice would be to contact an electrician.

Thank you very much for the help. Will do so.
Since you are from the USA go to your local electrical parts house and they make so many different timers it sounds like all you need is a mechanical timer which will wire up the same it has seconds minutes and hours just select how long you want it to run turn the knob and it will time out and then disconnect the light

The standard of American work seems pretty poor from what I've seen on here anyway

Don’t judge a book by its color M29. And you think the brits are any better. All y’all can do is work on flats or homes and not to sure about that.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Nobody cares about what you say and keep your bad attitude to your self. We have some of the best electricians in the world

And with that sort of unwarranted remark this forum could be losing a contributor

Also please leave insults directed at the English in the hands of the Scots Irish and Welsh
They have much more experience at it and can do so without causing offence ;)

And with that sort of unwarranted remark this forum could be losing a contributor

Also please leave insults directed at the English in the hands of the Scots Irish and Welsh
They have much more experience at it and can do so without causing offence ;)

Just read post #7 and that was uncalled for

Just read post #7 and that was uncalled for
Yes it was a bit abrasive , but that is not the opinion of us all.
I have worked on American machines and have respect for the quality of workmanship.

I read post 6 :) and yes that was a very uninformed post and also insulting to so many american tradesmen but having one insult should not mean being rude to others making fair comments
I apologize for being rude, I just couldn’t understand why m29 made that comment and I hadn’t even made a comment today. Again I’m man enough to apologize, and hope there is no hard feelings

electrics apart, the Americans seem to be far in advance of us when it comes to getting things done. example, we had a barge clouted a Thames bridge, scuffed a couple of bricks. bridge closed to traffic for 5 months. in the US a flyover collapsed. was fixed in 4 weeks. i;ll say no more or i'll get bolloxed for going off track.

Don’t judge a book by its color M29. And you think the brits are any better. All y’all can do is work on flats or homes and not to sure about that.
I don't understand what this means, I'm Irish not British also and I can work on more than flats and homes if that's what you mean

I apologize for being rude, I just couldn’t understand why m29 made that comment and I hadn’t even made a comment today. Again I’m man enough to apologize, and hope there is no hard feelings
Also it was not aimed at you just a general observation from what we have seen on here

Reply to help with wiring of timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock