Discuss Hi I am a house owner in Wales. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

paul b

DIY
Reaction score
I have a ideal 24 combi in attic. last year during very cold nights the frost stat would kick in and heat the whole house , just because the attic was cold. i had a pipe stst fitted a week or two back by a plumber and every day / night since the CH is coming on / going off. so the pipe stat is working but was is turning the CH on in this mild weather ?

What is the expected function of the pipe stat?

I'm assuming the frost stat is built into the boiler and operates at a temperature preset by the manufacturer

What is the expected function of the pipe stat?

I'm assuming the frost stat is built into the boiler and operates at a temperature preset by the manufacturer
hi. the frost stat came with boiler set at 5. the pipe stat is needed to turn the CH off in winter months when the frost stat has turned it on. cos the attic is much colder than the house

hi. the frost stat came with boiler set at 5. the pipe stat is needed to turn the CH off in winter months when the frost stat has turned it on. cos the attic is much colder than the house
So you would risk the boiler freezing and damaging the heat exchanger which would be costly to replace because you are too warm

Without digging into the boiler wiring diagram to verify you might have been better getting a smart thermostat or heating controller that could limit the overnight heating temperature to 8 - 10°C

So you would risk the boiler freezing and damaging the heat exchanger which would be costly to replace because you are too warm

Without digging into the boiler wiring diagram to verify you might have been better getting a smart thermostat or heating controller that could limit the overnight heating temperature to 8 - 10°C
what i have said is the CH is constantly coming on NOW when weather is mild (15’) in attic with frost stat set at 5’ so asking what is turning my CH on ?! i am not risking the boiler freezing

Pipe 'stat and frost 'stat should both be fitted, and connected in series. Pipe stat should be on the return boiler pipe and set at about 5 degrees. There will be some heating of the house, but it should be minimal with the return flow limited to just above freezing.

• Optimistic
Reactions: UNG
what i have said is the CH is constantly coming on NOW when weather is mild (15’) in attic with frost stat set at 5’ so asking what is turning my CH on ?! i am not risking the boiler freezing
How are you measuring / monitoring the overnight temperature in the loft is the 15°C an actual measured temperature

The frost stat needs to be fairly close to the boiler, so that it is affected by the heat leaking from the boiler.
The odd bit of panelling near the boiler might help. Not to enclose the boiler, but to protect it from draughts in the attic.

Three of my boilers are fitted with frost protection. Two are in fairly small outdoor sheds, which become a few degrees above the ambient when the boiler is running, and the third is a standalone outdoor unit, where the frost 'stat is actually inside the boiler casing.
All three prevent the boiler and external pipework from freezing with minimal heating of the property.

Last edited:
If the temperature in the attic is really 15 degrees, then it sounds like you need a more accurate frost 'stat with limited hysteresis.

Maybe the plumber wired the pipe stat in parallel with the frost stat instead of in series, and it's also set at too high a temperature!!

If the pipe stat is working correctly and set a 5 or 10 degrees, the radiators should not be getting hot.
pit takes a while for the stat to recognise that it is warming up but I would not expect the flow temp to go much above 20 before the boiler turns back off again.

Difference between the temperature in switches on at when the room temp is falling, and the temp it switches off again when the temp rises.

Reply to Hi I am a house owner in Wales. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock