Discuss High bay or flood lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

punkin

-
Reaction score
Hi, I work in a steel factory and we are in need of better lighting. I’m thinking of putting up some LED flood lighting in instead of using LED high bay lights. The flood lights are about 50% cheaper than High bay. We currently have 8 foot fluorescents at a height of about 6 meters.
Are there any reasons or regulations not to use flood lights? The only disadvantage I see is the flood lights have a wider spread of light than high bay light which might not work well at heights, but the flood light should be much better than what we already have.

any thoughts appreciated
cheers
Pete

Don't really know the lay-out of your factory however flood lights dont lend themselves to shining light directly down so well as strip lights. I think they tend (floodlights) to have a higher glare factor as well. Why not LED striplights?

yeah, I can imagine floods will be a bit dazzling.
The fluorescent lights we have are 8 foot and I've read somewhere that the LED strip lights bend when trying to change them, but please correct me if i'm wrong as I've no experience with 8 foot LED strip lights though.

Not being a lighting designer, but I'm pretty sure the spots will provide spots of light and might not be suitable to provide consistent even illumination that a workshop might reasonably need for people to work safely. Just saying :)

Good point, think I would find it quite annoying seeing reflective spots everywhere if I was working all day under these type of lights

A 6foot twin led fitting will give off just as much if not more and better quality than your 8foot fluorescent, you can always get in touch with a manufacturer who would come and do a lux calculation for you. If that helps

we have just change out 8 ft fluorescents for a led 5 ft twin and they give out a brighter light , there are also some good low bays on thh market to , you may also find the flood lights difficult to install and won't give out such a good light

Reply to High bay or flood lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net