Discuss hmo wiring advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dougquade

DIY
Reaction score
Hi My mate has purchased a house which is being converted into multiple occupancy (8 rooms). Unfortunately the spark passed away halfway through the job. each room has been fitted with a 2 way CU with 16a+6 breaker fed via a 4mm cable. He installed double stacked hager board with 2 main 100a breakers, kitchen and communal all on rcbos (top section) and all rooms feeds on 20a mcbs (bottom) section. The board has been fed via 25mm swa (extended)

Now is this the right way to do it? will 4mm be enough to handle the load and is connecting 8 x 4mm room loads + kitchen on one board be enough?

Thanks

Doug

ps I’m a Apprentice btw

Without seeing the job, the sizing sounds ok. (depends on how the house is heated though, and cooker and shower facilities)
The main thing to say is that your mate will need to get another electrician involved sooner rather than later, one that will take responsibility for the previous sparks work up to now. (ASAP, so they can see the cable routes etc)

The council will need an electrician who is a member of a scheme to sign it off before they give an HMO license.

Doug Quade.... That would be Arnies character in Total Recall?

House is heated via gas boiler same with the showers. Gas hob and electric oven. The 4mm cables are T&E not swa. I would say they run through some insulation though. maximum runs of 18m.

We can't comment on whether the installation is compliant so far or not without seeing it.... but any electrician taking on a half finished job needs to know 100% so they can sign it off.
Unfortunate situation

We can't comment on whether the installation is compliant so far or not without seeing it.... but any electrician taking on a half finished job needs to know 100% so they can sign it off.
Unfortunate situation
There’s no mention of the fire alarm and emergency lighting, I would have installed minimum 6mm it’s probably cheaper that 4mm, it’s certainly better have that security of extra capacity

Reply to hmo wiring advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net