Discuss HMRC Refund email in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just had the same thing and dumped it in the bin.

Useless hotmail, my have the phising scam button but you still get the damn things. Or doesn't it work like that?

There's an option on the tax return to enter your bank details in case you're owed a refund.
I got one last year - they sent me a letter through the post and paid it directly into my account without having to do anything.

This scam has been doing the rounds for about 2 or 3 years. As always never give out banking or personal info. If the revenue owe you, they will let you know. There are loads of ebay and paypal scams as well, just ignore them, dont open them either just delete.

Cheers..........Howard

HMRC only do paper letters and only post out cheques, they never contact other than in writing, the scammers seem to know who is self employed and try to send emails to trick people, they must still be getting a few victims or they would have stopped doing it, would never trust any emails that say they are from the tax or a bank...

HMRC only do paper letters and only post out cheques, they never contact other than in writing, the scammers seem to know who is self employed and try to send emails to trick people, they must still be getting a few victims or they would have stopped doing it, would never trust any emails that say they are from the tax or a bank...

All they have to do is go through sites like this where people say I'M SELF EMPLOYED and do a bit of research

Please note if you receive ANY email from HMRC or other Government Department it is a scam.
I received one this morning claiming I was due a £600 tax refund. Looked very convincing with links to real HMRC site etc....
If you get similar please forward to
[email protected]
and delete item without opening any attachments etc
AIM

I received my tax rebate through the post, I wouldn't trust entering my bank details online. Too good to be true.

I am sure there are many people though that would at the excitement over receiving a tax rebate and then end up having their account emptied by a hacker.

I wonder how many people are actually affected by this

I nearly fell for it last year, got through most of the email; filling in the details. Then I thought I'd just check with my accountant as he would normally tell me before he sends the self assessment form, if I owe/or am owed any money. I'm glad I did as I was so close to finishing the details and sending it to the email address. I even followed the links from the page to the HMRC official website.

I now tell everyone I know who is self employed or even thinking of doing so about this scam.

Bloody Theiving SCUM!!!

Reply to HMRC Refund email in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net