Discuss HNC maths bridging course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have heard the maths bridging course mentioned quite a few times but I still don't know what it is.

So has anyone a link or some guidance to the course number for the maths bridging course.

I hope to eventually study an HNC later.

Thanks.

its the introductory maths for engineers Higher National unit and covers complex numbers, basic calculus and integration and differentiation, which will all be needed when you do the parts of the course covering these other Units: AC Networks (complex numbers) | Analogue Electronic devices and Microelectronics (complex numbers and differentiation) | Operational Amplifiers (Complex numbers) and anything involving tuning circuits/filters and Oscillator circuits- Circuit resonance etc..... As part of the HNC/HND the unit you do after this is called Maths for Engineers, after that you can do another one called Maths for Engineers 2, which used to be called Calculus 1 for Engineers, this is for if you want extra points to go for an HNC with Merit (which is based on getting about 10% more points tallied up than the number needed to obtain an HNC certificate.....this only takes about 2 weeks extra if you keep your head down, and sometimes you can do it alongside the Maths for Engineers Unit, but you have to make it known at the start of the year you want to do the extra Unit (Maths for Engineers 2) or you will be made to do it at the end of the course or even come back for a few weeks at the start of next college year..... getting a Merit on an HNC is the difference between getting into the start of first year at University doing all the same stuff over again but worded in a little bit of a different way, with all the expense of an extra year of study for basically nothing extra learned, and getting into the start of year 2 of the same course....making a University course 2 years long instead of 3 years..... Doing an HND at College then going into 3rd year at University is actually much better as the College has the time to teach/show you more whereas the University only really has the time for very minimal 1 to 1 time and very very little workshop time, which you will need to learn for the world of work anyway, Universities like people with HND'S as they are easy for them to deal with and they only have to go through the motions for 1 year to get you out the other end as a Graduate, not 3 years.....and employers like college then University as opposed to direct University entry as they know that Colleges teach a lot more hands on practical and tricks of the trade than Universities.... Colleges do Night Classes a few nights a week on different subjects and will be doing them now, you should get onto their website and email them or phone them asap...

if nothing else it looks like a good mental discipline. learning that lot would certainly exercise the grey matter. would an hours study a night be enough to pass?

Well to be honest mate it took me a lot longer than an hour a night to do my maths side of the course but I was still in the learning mode as I did mine .ahem a few years back ...........

My mate gave me this when he did his 3 yrs ago ................and we showed it to my daughters friend who had just got an A* in her A level maths ...........and she helped my mate do his 1st maths module and she reckons it's basic!!!!!! ....................so it can go both ways

the trouble is I am out of learning mode, I have A level maths but that was a while ago and I got a B grade. it's going to be hard getting my brain going again but I like a challenge.

I don't think an HNC will pay for itself TBH.

But I do fancy an engineering maths course, it will be good for my brain.

Is the maths bridging course expensive?

I'm currently revising maths from the basics, ready to start HNC elec in a few weeks time (day release).
I bought a book called Basic Engineering Maths by John Bird. It's basic stuff, but I want to revise from scratch, as my maths is rusty. It's a good starting point.
Ive also got a book called Modern Engineering maths by Glynn James, but I'm saving that until I've completely mastered the basics.

Open University do a variety of Maths courses, MS121 is good for beginners (relative term I know) you can do it as a 'stand alone' and it counts for further studies/ degree etc.

I beg to differ, I can only speak about "basic engineering maths" by john bird, but I found it very unhelpful. The answer key is riddled with mistakes and not enough detail is put into the explanations of each topic. It has 1 star out of 5 on amazon.com for this reason, shame I didn't read the reviews first.

electrical installation calculations by a.j. watkins is a good book on electrical maths

Reply to HNC maths bridging course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock