Discuss home improvements in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mogga

MSN home page has a news thinggy " improvements that will not ad value to your house"

Home 'improvements' that make your house worth less

their quote from niceic "
"Rewiring can also mean that homeowners have to take up floorboards and even remove expensive wallpaper," said NICEIC spokeswoman Emmie Sadler.
"It could end up in a refurbishment, which could easily cost as much as the re-wire itself."

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of these are just looking at the average cost and the average added value, so it really depends on each individual situation. It also depends on what the buyer wants - if they want one very large bedroom then knocking down a wall to turn two bedrooms into one might add value to them, but won't to somebody who requires more rooms. I certainly think that a loft conversion that goes well with the house and adds significant space will add value.

I would never improve my home just to add value though. You improve it for your own use, and if it also addd value when you want to sell, then that's a bonus.

aint the niceic supposed to represent us? i bet that spokesperson got a slap across the wrists for that!

as for added value, i cant think of naything more valuable than leaving the house, or going to sleep at night, knowing that your house is 20% less likely to burn down and your family are safer as a result of good wiring!

"God save our gracious sparks,
God save our holy sparks
God save the sparks"

a fair point mogga.

PS the 20% came from statistics that show 20% of house fires are caused by faulty electrics. This is not inclusive of electrocutions ect

Last edited:
I read the article as 'rewiring a house won't add to the value of the property if the householder DIYs it themself'.
Depending on the state of the property I would have thought before selling any property the seller would paint the walls a neutral colour and fit new carpets anyway, so it shouldn't really matter if the walls are chased and filled and the floorboards lifted.

Yes the way I read it it was saying that if the work was a DIY effort it would devalue your home as it would cost money to put right. NIC fighting for you

Reply to home improvements in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net