Discuss How do we solve the long meter tail problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My thinking was that it was the terminations at the lamp itself, but again hopefully someone can confirm or (more likely) correct this.

2 plate providing switch line and neutral termination, with 3 plate also having termination for looped line conductors.

The term plate relates to the amount of terminals at the rose/batten holder, ignoring the earth terminal. Prior to three plate the fitting had two terminals or two at its base plate hence two plate. Later fittings had the loop terminal incorporated giving three terminals at its base plate, hence three plate.

View attachment 59128

I assume you mean like pages 1 + 2?
Maybe someone can enlighten :lightbulb:me what does the word plate actually mean? I assume it's the number of wires?
Three plate terminology is actually referring to the ceiling rose (3plate), IMO this method is outdated because simply not used very much, with modern light fittings, led , etc, all new builds down this way are fed at switch box. En54 would be moaning lol

Last edited:
You've thrown a spanner in the works there don't know how you would label that?

it's the same as 3 plate wiring but at the switch.

hasn't Australia been using Loop at switch for a long time? do they still call it 3 plate?

You've thrown a spanner in the works there don't know how you would label that?

it's the same as 3 plate wiring but at the switch.

hasn't Australia been using Loop at switch for a long time? do they still call it 3 plate?
Sorry Mark, are you not understanding my post?, anyway 3plate is the 3 plates of the ceiling rose ie connection points, nothing to do with the number of cables, I know you have feed in, loop feed, switch wire 3 cables but that is irrelevant.

Interesting in the UK we call ours protective multiple earthing (PME) for TNCS but it's uncommon to have a consumer Earth rod at the property as-well.

PME is the most common type of TNCS supply in the UK, but it is not the only type of TNCS supply.
A TNCS supply can be installed without it being PME.

yeah could get a bit confusing it you start calling multicore wiring 2 plate and single core wiring 3 plate even if historically it was the plates/termination plates whatever at the ceiling rose - when have you ever heard someone wiring 2 way+ light with 3 core call it 2 plate?

Your 3 terminations/plates whatever are now at the switch I.e 123 Live,Switch, Neutral all take place at the switch - it's multicore loop in the termination plate at the switch not at the ceiling rose but its still 3 terminations taking place.
it not a single core Neutarl run direct the light 1,2 Neutal, Switch.

T&E with no singles there will have to be 3 connections at some point of Live,Neutral and SL.

PME is the most common type of TNCS supply in the UK, but it is not the only type of TNCS supply.
A TNCS supply can be installed without it being PME.
Would this require at extra earth rod mandatory? or you make a decision based on Ze reading.

Last edited:
It's a good question. A scenario that should never occur, but it has.

@davesparks gives the correct answer, it simply needs digging out and the correct mechanical protection installed. However, the correct solution is not always possible, it would be a nice easy life if it was, although possibly a bit boring.

If the homeowner completely refuses to have the walls bashed about then I can't see any other option but to fit an upfront 30mA RCD. This could be fitted in place of the DP switch used in the switch fuse. An awful solution, but better than leaving the tails without protection.

I fit steel plates when they are hidden in walls, plus S type 100mA RCD up front in the switch fuse.

Considering cables require additional protection by an rcd upto 30mA buried in the wall , I can’t see the reason , as installing a steel plate which had to ensure that cables cannot be penetrated is the idea , that cables can’t be damaged negating the need for an rcd . As for installation of the S type rcd , it cannot provide additional protection should the steel be penetrated, which shouldn’t be able to be penetrated anyway by nails or screws.

Why the RCD? Unless it's a TT system then it is not required.
what about 522.6.202. buried tails unprotected do not comply with 522.6.204, so additional protectionby means of a30mA RCD must be installed.

what about 522.6.202. buried tails unprotected do not comply with 522.6.204, so additional protectionby means of a30mA RCD must be installed.
Think he was asking why the S type rcd in the post above
[automerge]1595769374[/automerge]
It's a good question. A scenario that should never occur, but it has.

@davesparks gives the correct answer, it simply needs digging out and the correct mechanical protection installed. However, the correct solution is not always possible, it would be a nice easy life if it was, although possibly a bit boring.

If the homeowner completely refuses to have the walls bashed about then I can't see any other option but to fit an upfront 30mA RCD. This could be fitted in place of the DP switch used in the switch fuse. An awful solution, but better than leaving the tails without protection.

I fit steel plates when they are hidden in walls, plus S type 100mA RCD up front in the switch fuse.
Out of interest, what steel plates do you fit?
As I’m not too confident in that ‘tails capping’ stuff that’s available to buy.

misread post due to following manufacturers instructions. it says "7 days after bottling, sample the beer".

If you read the quote in my post you will see I was asking why they are installing a 100mA S type RCD when protecting the tails with heavy steel plate.

If you read the quote in my post you will see I was asking why they are installing a 100mA S type RCD when protecting the tails with heavy steel plate.
as my last post. i misread.

I haven't done any of that sort of work for a while but in the past always used 1/4" (~6mm) steel plates over buried tails.

That was when I was full time with a building company so we just used to get steel from the company who supplied the RSJ's etc.

Think he was asking why the S type rcd in the post above
[automerge]1595769374[/automerge]

That's probably what it is Ian. Its advertised as mechanical protection and feels pretty robust. Certainly isnt 6mm though, more like 3mm. I tried drilling through with a masonary bit and it was not getting through.

Reply to How do we solve the long meter tail problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock