Discuss How do you manage your supplier prices and invoices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Matt Hutchings

Hi,

I am curious to know how electrical contractors manage the prices they get from your suppliers.

Everyone knows that if you stick with one wholesaler, you are likely to get your pants pulled down by pricing over one thing or another, you need to keep them on their toes, and to do that you have to get quotes and compare prices from other wholesalers to know this.

Do you manually check each invoice, against a quote?

Depends what accounts package you use.
Also easy enough to knock up a spread sheet.
No matter what system is used there has to be some sort of manual input and also the need to look at it

I'll be totally honest, I have made a system for this to happen automatically, and makes it so much easier to stay on top of pricing and the hassles with multiple suppliers.

I am very curious to see how its done at the moment, to improve upon.

I'll be totally honest, I have made a system for this to happen automatically, and makes it so much easier to stay on top of pricing and the hassles with multiple suppliers.

I am very curious to see how its done at the moment, to improve upon.

I suggest to try and sell the system to CEF .... they are hopeless

That is infact where the idea came from.... and is designed to help solve issues unique to CEF and others....

It wasn't available... so I made it... Automatically captures the invoice info as you receive it, and allows you to see all the invoices of a given job together, view price history of products you have been invoiced or quoted.

That is infact where the idea came from.... and is designed to help solve issues unique to CEF and others....

It wasn't available... so I made it... Automatically captures the invoice info as you receive it, and allows you to see all the invoices of a given job together, view price history of products you have been invoiced or quoted.
So in short, you are trying to sell us what you have created?

Hahaha CEF have that much of a reputation of ripping off customers with random invoicing someone has had to develop software to combat it.... excellent :D

But the issue is wider than just CEF for sure..

I have spoke to electricians, who will look at every invoice, spend hours on trying dealing with quotes from suppliers, have no idea what they are being charged....

An Accountant does not look at the individual items you buy, my software does.

Effectively it's a web app atm... but it works without you needing to do anything as such.

Whenever you receive a quote or invoice, that becomes your price*, if you are ever charged above that price, it can automatically email the supplier back asking for a reason, or have the original quote attached...

Does this work from recognising part numbers as different wholesalers use different part numbers for the same product so using to compare between different wholesalers could be difficult.

That is a great question. At the moment it does not try to cross reference the part numbers from one supplier to another, this is planned, but to get a computer to understand this, it's going to take a little creative thinking..

This is an example of a few items from an invoice, some could be tied up, some couldnt:

ESSSENTIALS Cable Ties Black L=140 x W=3.6mm
ESSSENTIALS Cable Ties Black L=300 x W=4.8mm
20CJB20B Loop-in Circular Box 20mm
80/30/2 RCCB DP 80A 30mA
MCW20SK CW Gland Kit=2 20mm S
UNDERGROUND CABLE JOINTS STRAIGHT THRU 10mm X 4C MAX
13A 2 Gang Lockable Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket Double Pole IP66
61/B20 MCB SP Type B 20A 6kA

Why the new user account? Only one account is permitted per member. Thread is closed for now.

Reply to How do you manage your supplier prices and invoices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock