Discuss How much do electricians charge? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

£25 is too cheap in SE. We charge £45 for first hour and £36/hr thereafter (Plus VAT) (including o'heads plus travelling) and haven't stopped throughtout lockdown! Often think we are too cheap!
Saying that, I do know 'one man band' sparks locally charging £25/28 per hour.

I charge higher rates to people that can afford it but conversely I also do lots of small jobs for free for elderly and less well off people.....it’s all about balance ?
There are few things I remember from a short business/accountancy course we had as a student (main memory is being bored witless), but I remember Mr Symonds covering this sort of thing: that some customers have high expectations and want work done to suit them so you charge them more, and others simply can't afford it and are more accommodating to you, so you charge them less.

There are few things I remember from a short business/accountancy course we had as a student (main memory is being bored witless), but I remember Mr Symonds covering this sort of thing: that some customers have high expectations and want work done to suit them so you charge them more, and others simply can't afford it and are more accommodating to you, so you charge them less.
To be honest it’s nice working for people don’t don’t worry about costs and are more concerned with the finish, but I do like the look on an old girls face when they get the purse out and then you tell em it’s ok no charge ?

I live in an ageing community and generally do not charge for anything I do, the problem is you can only eat so many bars of chocolate (UK), but the bottle of wine are always nice to have (France).

Just realised I am part of that ageing community, in fact I am a major ageist.

Hi guys. i'm a young electrician just starting out in the south east of England (not London) and I've just finished a job and not sure what to charge. I've spent around 30/35 hours there, testing and inspecting wiring before altering an existed ring, fitting new dado trunking, pulled in several CAT5s for new data points and lots of other little bit's he's asked me to do over the last 2/3 weeks. I'm just double checking how much most electricians charge as I don't want to over or under charge the guy. Thanks.

£96.50 p/h + VAT!

If you do decide to do a job cheaper because its local/convenient/a big chunk of work etc, dont lower your hourly rate, price at standard rates and then apply a discount at the end. Then people wont expect other jobs to be at the same low rate.

A client of mine asked for a discount on the multiple projects he appointed me for, I agreed a rate on seven day payments, the QS denied that and said he did not agree it, but being me I had put everything in writing at the time and asked him to sign it, he did not like it when I presented it too him, the client still gave me more work, in fact I worked for them exclusively for the last few years before I retired, just to put this into perspective one of the last projects was a £67 million house.

+25%If their Porche Cayenne has a personalised number plate.
I call it postcode pricing. Bath is a tale of 2 cities.
One part has million pound houses galore who wouldn't blink at £50 an hour call out. Other side would have a heart attack at £25 and is generally poorer with more social housing etc... Its not that black and white but I find with pricing I am not fixed. It all depends on workload and whether I want the job etc..

I call it postcode pricing. Bath is a tale of 2 cities.
One part has million pound houses galore who wouldn't blink at £50 an hour call out. Other side would have a heart attack at £25 and is generally poorer with more social housing etc... Its not that black and white but I find with pricing I am not fixed. It all depends on workload and whether I want the job etc..
Portsmouth or portsea island is the exact same.....easily 3-4 million pound houses on the seafront at the other end of the spectrum are places you leave ya apprentice in the van all day to make sure it ain’t nicked ?

Reply to How much do electricians charge? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock