Discuss how much would YOU charge ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lekkidave

Priced up a job 2 weeks ago.
Supply and Install 4 way sub board in small extension running tails through main house approx 14m nasty run as going through 2 x kids bedrooms.
Supply and install one shot
Supply and install 10mm cable, 45a double pole switch then trunk to shower
Supply and install 3 twin sockets in 20mm plastic tube
16a supply for heater in conduit
3 x wall lights supplied by customer but off 3 gang switch supplied and installed by me.
All work to go through Elecsa

All materials will be crabtree
My quote was £310
Got told 3 of us quoted and i was the most expensive !!!
Please give me some feed back lads just roughly what would your charge.

Dave West Midlands / Birmingham

TBH mate, off what you're saying that quote is too cheap IMO. By the time youve bought all the materials out of that you cant be making much!
I think the customer is a tight **** and is trying it on with you

Way too cheap. At least double that price. If you are the dearest out of 3 quotes, then you are up against monkeys, pub sparky, non registered etc. Walk away and have a day off. Not worth starting the van for that sort of money.

Priced up a job 2 weeks ago.
Supply and Install 4 way sub board in small extension running tails through main house approx 14m nasty run as going through 2 x kids bedrooms.
Supply and install one shot
Supply and install 10mm cable, 45a double pole switch then trunk to shower
Supply and install 3 twin sockets in 20mm plastic tube
16a supply for heater in conduit
3 x wall lights supplied by customer but off 3 gang switch supplied and installed by me.
All work to go through Elecsa

All materials will be crabtree
My quote was £310

Charge around 550....people are desperate for the work at the minute though mate.

2 days work

Last edited by a moderator:
Would make £95 profit on job and the way it is round here at the minute it s something. Job bout 5 mins from house which helps. Can t believe I lost it. When busy your right £400 - £550 good price but when IM competing againest this what can I do. Put price in today for consumer unit change, new tails 5m (bad pull) plus extra socket below board for £190 still heard nothing back thought they would have bit my arm off for that

To be honest although you've lost the job for the time spent it would'nt be worth it
Personally I would have quoted £ 500 / £ 650.00 plus vat I can only assume there not registered and a bit of bodging is going to take place , but then again we have to deal with the three week wonders doing it in their spare time,

That sounds very cheap. By £95 profit, do you mean after buying materials that's what you'd make?

How long is all that going to take you? Would have thought a couple of days. Even if it took you 1 day, £95 for a days work is ridiculously cheap.

I'd say £600 to £650. It looks like about 2 days or so work, £310 wouldn't even cover the labour. The materials must be £150 easily (have you seen the price of 10mm these days?).

£95 for two days work? You'd be better off stacking shelves.
Maybe I should consider getting you over here subbing at those rates???

Last year I worked out all my business expenses as a day rate - £52 a day. So how do you make £48 a day out to be profit?

I'd say price your jobs properly and maybe you'd win them. Whilst there are some people who just want it 'cheap as chips', most sensible people avoid trades who are obviously too cheap because they feel this will be reflected in the standard of the work.

imo you are to cheap. however i was once told, not to get in to the argument of pricing, your price is your price,and you do the job right! you don't cut corners and you don't sell yourself short, your the one whos been to school, spent hundreds on courses and being part pee, if it was that easy they would be doing it!!

Danny

£95 for two days work? You'd be better off stacking shelves.

Most supermarkets would give you a supervisors job, a city and guilds level 3 is enough.... I know I worked in a supermarket for a while when I got made redundant and I walked straight in to a supervisors role.

Maybe you were too cheap and the customer thought you lacked competance, thats all i can think. Sometimes customers don't always go for the cheapest quote but the trademan they feel most comfortable with. Those prices are far too cheap what you have been offering.

Agreed it does appear way under priced imo. I would be thinking around double that and either 2 days on your own or 1 day with 2 people etc.

Sorry to hear that you lost the work though. never a good thing what ever viewpoint.

My quote was £310

That does sound rather a low price by anyones standards. As it is part of building works being carried out it ought to come under Building Control so any competent person could do the job. If you have nothing to do, check if the address has a planning application in, and if not give the Planning Office a call. Very easy to check, it's all on line.

Reply to how much would YOU charge ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net