Discuss How to connect motor? in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry but what I'm planning will take time

Totally agree... finding that out with my App. program. I'll be developing motor starting stuff as part of that, along with VFDs and soft starts so I'll chuck a version your way... in time!

What I'm finding is that, although I hoard shed-loads of info, I have very little or close to zero orgainisation. My filing system over the years has been terrible. I think that's a valid resolution for the New Year!

Although we have the info... we still have to sift through it and collate what's relevant today.

Good luck T, and thanks for sharing.

Reversing rotation of motor?

Hi all,

My previous post was a bit vague so I have included a photo to help explain.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z53/whazza22/?action=view&current=Motor.png

Basically I would like to know how to reverse the rotation of the motor. I know you swap any two phases on a 3 phase motor with just 3 cables but how do you do it for a motor that has 2 sets of connections (6 cables)

The two motors are fed from a 3 phase isolator and are for the two supply fans on an Air Handling Unit, with only one running at any time.

Would you swap two phases on one set or on both or something totally different lol

Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Reversing rotation of motor?

I think you mean you have a star / delta motor , if so you should have three interlinked contactors ?
If so just swap two phase's that are on the incoming side of the first contactor .

The difference in this case is that for each phase you have two connections to a winding and they must be paired correctly and both swapped together.

Ideally... you should continue your original thread on this same topic to keep continuity.

If your brown wires are switched from L1 and your black wires from L2 then your diagram doesn't make sense, unless:

(A) you have the labelling of the motor terminals incorrect, or

(B) you have something else "within" the box that you depict as the 'isolator'.

It would perhaps make sense if you had U1, V1 and W1 on the left of the motor terminal block with W2, U2 and V2 on the right of the terminal block, assuming the six wires are identically paired through the isolator. Please check this.

I know you are making a great effort in having us understand your plight but you must understand we cannot see what you have.

What's happening in the isolator. Is there 3 phase into the top of the isolator?

Are you certain it's an isolator as opposed to some form pole-reversing switch?

The six wires to the load... are they paired-up in the bottom of the 'isolator'?

Ideally... you should continue your original thread on this same topic to keep continuity.

If your brown wires are switched from L1 and your black wires from L2 then your diagram doesn't make sense, unless:

(A) you have the labelling of the motor terminals incorrect, or

(B) you have something else "within" the box that you depict as the 'isolator'.

It would perhaps make sense if you had U1, V1 and W1 on the left of the motor terminal block with W2, U2 and V2 on the right of the terminal block, assuming the six wires are identically paired through the isolator. Please check this.

I know you are making a great effort in having us understand your plight but you must understand we cannot see what you have.

What's happening in the isolator. Is there 3 phase into the top of the isolator?

Are you certain it's an isolator as opposed to some form pole-reversing switch?

The six wires to the load... are they paired-up in the bottom of the 'isolator'?

Yes its definately a 3 phase isolator with 3 phases going in the top.

Also the terminals are labelled correctly on the motor and I confirmed this by looking at the connections on the 2nd motor which is working fine.

I will be connecting the 2nd motor which has been repaired and sometimes they are re-wound the opposite way from before.

I have managed to look at the isolator and it has a 3 phase supply at the top, and on the outgoing side it has between 8 to 12 terminals. All of the outgoing cables are in different terminals which are numbered.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It looks like a normal 3 phase isolator with the feed going in top and the outgoing from bottom. The only difference is that it has loads of terminals on bottom. It feeds one motor but have 6 outgoing cables

Pictures would be very helpful if you could attach a few of the isolator and motor terminal box and even the supply where it comes from the control panel along with the contactor/overload arrangement.

It could be a manual Y/D starter (manual change over) switch.
Have you opened up "the box"?

If it is what i think it is, then it probably does not comply with legislation now, & no I don't mean BS7671.

Without more info then there is no more I can suggest, sorry.

It could be a manual Y/D starter (manual change over) switch.
Have you opened up "the box"?

If it is what i think it is, then it probably does not comply with legislation now, & no I don't mean BS7671.

Without more info then there is no more I can suggest, sorry.

What are they in contravention of , we look after several grain stores that still have these on the main fans ?

The problem is we don,t no what this isolator/starter is, no photo,no manufacturer type/series and were on page 4 . If we can,t definitive info we might as well get a mini bus and go down and have a look

we might as well get a mini bus and go down and have a look

Now that sounds a bloody good idea. Who’s driving the bus? The Electro-bus-ters team arrive en mass. To drunk to see what we're doing but we’ll muddle through somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to connect motor? in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net