Discuss How to extend the wiring loop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just to expand on DPG's comment: Here MF = maintenance free, a type of connection (and matching box) that is designed not to loosen with time/vibration/thermal cycling. If you search on various sales sites you will find ones meeting this. Usually this is a spring-loaded type that maintains pressure, where as screws run the risk of loosening over time and are more likely to be too tight or too loose if you don't have experience or a torque screwdriver (and actually use it, not just leave it in the cupboard!).

Wago are generally the favourite here, but be aware that you need to get the correct combination of box and terminal to meet the MF designation. Also take care as usually the push-on Wago (and similar brands) are only suited to solid (i.e. single core) wires, whereas the clamp-type of terminal will work with both solid and stranded wire.

But as already said, it is always better to avoid junctions if you possibly can (and doubly so if concealed) and run new cable from socket to socket for your ring.

Let's not forget that there are some MF boxes out there that will only satisfy the MF criteria once they have been closed and sealed with a Ziptie, closing alone will not qualify as MF (even though you used push fit connectors)

Let's not forget that there are some MF boxes out there that will only satisfy the MF criteria once they have been closed and sealed with a Ziptie, closing alone will not qualify as MF (even though you used push fit connectors)
Eh? I don’t think so.
there are some MF boxes out there that only comply as an MF ASSEMBLY if they are used in association with the correct connectors.
For example, Wago connectors in the appropriate WAGOBOX.
Anything else does not comply with
BS EN 60670.

Eh? I don’t think so.
there are some MF boxes out there that only comply as an MF ASSEMBLY if they are used in association with the correct connectors.
For example, Wago connectors in the appropriate WAGOBOX.
Anything else does not comply with
BS EN 60670.

@Lister1987 is correct. Line 3 of the MF instructions provided with a Wagobox specify that the lid should be secured with a cable tie. This is in the seperate section of the pamphlet on how to achieve MF compliance with the product

@Lister1987 is correct. Line 3 of the MF instructions provided with a Wagobox specify that the lid should be secured with a cable tie. This is in the seperate section of the pamphlet on how to achieve MF compliance with the product
Might as well have put them around Ashley 401's for all the good.
Still the best uns for me. ;)

Reply to How to extend the wiring loop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock