Discuss How to map circuits when some breakers are quads in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mrwassen

DIY
Reaction score
I have a question about mapping circuits in a single family home. I recently had my panel upgraded to an Eaton 2040 panel, and the electrical contractor who did the work did not label things very clearly, so my plan is to relabel all circuits from scratch.

As part of the upgrade he installed 4 quads. I am fully aware of the reason that quads have handle ties (shared neutrals, risk of shock from a neutral etc.), and I have no plan to remove these, however they make it difficult to map circuits. My plan would otherwise have been to turn off all of the breakers then test 1 by 1 to determine exactly which outlets etc. are tied to a given breaker.

But since the quads have 2 pairs of circuits each pair tied together with a handle tie, this is not possible for these circuits.

The only way I can think of would be to turn off all breakers, and temporarily remove 3 of 4 load side hots in a quad, then turn the breaker back on and locate the outlets etc. I would have to repeat this for each of the 4 hots for each of the 4 quads.

Needless to say this is a bit of a hassle, and also I would like to avoid messing with the panel connections, so hoping somebody could think of a better way.

Thanks

Dennis

Last edited:

Reply to How to map circuits when some breakers are quads in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

We have one room that seems to have lost most of its power last night. One of the outlets in the rooms has a power strip plugged in that powers...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a 1950s rental house with a 100 amp main panel with a main shut off breaker. Breakers are Eaton/Cutler Hammer type, so the...
Replies
Views
I am going to be replacing two AFCI breakers after a lightning strike in a house built in 2003. I will be bringing the breakers with me to ensure...
Replies
Views
Background Two weeks ago, lightning struck a tree in our yard. Many circuits tripped and several electronic devices failed. There was a strong...
Replies
Views
Summary (TL;DR) Several lightbulbs in my home supplied by one circuit breaker dim over time and go out in about a year. Right now, the ceiling...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock