Discuss How to shield a live wire at 240V ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

May be worth you buying some standard DIP 555 chips?

Or surface mount devices with an adaptor as per Marconi above. Good solution this.

Or in the past I've glued the surface mount type to a board (piece of plastic etc.) and soldered wires directly to the pins. Use track repair wire or similar fine gauge wire.

I have both versions DIP8 and SOP8.
For SOP8 I have 100pcs and I really want to use them.
Thanks for your suggestions so far. The adaptor is a good solution, but Ill have to buy it and it takes time to arrive. I want to build this thing these days.
In the end I will experiment more and also use your ideas as well, with glue.
Any other ideas are welcomed.
Also... can you show me your SMD iron tips that you use? Or any other soldering tools specific for smd? The big tip that I have is too much, and is harder with it to get in the right spot, especially if I want to stick wires to the pins. I can do it in the end, but with great effort.

Last edited:
If you are happy with the functionality you get from the breadboard right now, it is time to make it on fiberglass board. It's probably a good advice for you, to make it as a definitive project. And dismantle everything you have here on these breadboards. I did the same. Remember the movie where I presented the remote control receiver? It was breadboarded. Now is gone, breadboard is clean again, ready for other experiments. But I made the receiver module in this time, unfortunatly with the same opamps on the breadboard because they were the only ones I had.
Maud is asleep so I can catch up with what you wrote. Unlike you who has a final purpose in mind for this challenging project, my attempt at it is for amusement only and to keep my mind active. Every so often, I have to pluck up the courage and put these breadboards in the boot of my car and take them to the waste disposal site to make more room in my shed. I grieve for a few days afterwards but one has to be realistic about the clutter they create. I have not found anyone locally who wants them. It is the challenge, the doing, the set-backs, the success which provides the enjoyment for me and that is all I want. Anyway, there is no way my 1930's minded wife would allow me to put such technology on the wall in place of:

Attachments

• How to shield a live wire at 240V ? bakeliteswitches - EletriciansForums.net
    bakeliteswitches.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
If you decide on which Antex iron and tips you want to buy to do smd soldering let me know. I will then write to them and see if they might send you one to illustrate and review in your videos. No promises but worth a try.

Last edited:
mister @marconi you are a funny guy.
Ofcourse I could use a free product, im not against free stuff if possible. But for sure im not hunting anything. And all my videos are a collaboration method of communication. I got a ton of help from a couple guys, including you, through these movies I made. This is the MAIN purpose of them. Not to make some comercial bull_sh_t propaganda. Again, and try to trust me, i know you are skeptical, and is healty to be, but sometimes trust by word, especially me, when I say, that what i do, i do it for me. And I am very glad that people likes my project, but that is outside the scope. What is the most important is that I like this project and Im leading it as long and as strong as I can. It's not easy. It is very hard in fact, and very slow.
I managed to make the pads for the smd IC, at least 4 of them on one side. That was mind blowing hard. I tried many permutations and many frustrations attempts. But I get it. I had multiple ideas and also implemented some that didnt work with and how i imagined. Aaah... my back hurts. The conclusion is that Yes, it can be done , but is crazy hard, and definetly not the way to do it too many times for multiple IC's. I dont want to think on IC's with more than 4 pins on one side. Horrible to do it as Im doing it. Trust me. So yes, it is possible, but very hard and very slow to make it. I'll have to think on other more "faster" (nothing is fast in truth) and more easier way to assemble these little black devils.
I knew about these adapters that you mentioned but you know, when you concentrate on something, you tend to forget everything. So your idea was more a reminder and a great help in the same time. I am thinking now, after my HARD manual attempt, to more seriously include them in my designs. I'll have to check the prices now, or go to version 2, buy some copper plated fiberglass and make them myself. I will need in order of hundreds. 100 for the start, but 200 to be on a safe side and if im lucky to find them VERY cheap !!! That's the most important prerogative for me - VERY cheap ! I didnt searched for their prices yet, its the next thing to do next.
And for my current projekt I have 2 realistic options now. I must finish it fast (days), so either I will use the DIP8 package or these very hard to make little experimental pads I did so far for the smd IC. Damn it, they are so hard. I wish they were not so hard, but they are. It's so much easier to work with older components than with smd's !!! Trust me on this.

also, mister @marconi or other guys that may look over this thread, can you throw a quick search on YOUR favorite online market and find me the CHEAPEST price for "100pcs sop8 adapter" ?
I already give it a search right now and the cheapest possible prices +transport tax I could find for me is 2.68US$. Also, be careful there is product price + transport price, so in total, these 2 must be the cheapest ! Ok? And thanks!
for example, this is what i got: US $2.06 / lot (100 pieces) & Shipping: US $0.62 so in total = 2.68$ at least for my country but it must be very close to this result for you as well, in UK.
Maybe im in luck and you can find it for 1$ ! Worth to ask.

The receiver module, working just perfect from first built and try. Just excellent.
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 20210416_110649 - EletriciansForums.net

And now the transmitter with 2x555's. You can see those small pads there. So hard to make and place them. So hard.
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 20210416_110848 - EletriciansForums.net

Thank you ! Though is a bit too overwhelming hard and the little pads, with way too many problems. But the good news is, it can be built like that as well. Hard but possible.
You can see in the right side some black marks, is because the solder does not stick after awhile. Problems. But it seems ok so far. It is not my first smd IC that i worked with, but is a first with all the pads mounted. What a hell. And I have a second one to make as well.
This one is clearly a test as you can see it sits by it's own. I can easily integrate it on the main circuit board now that has all its pads.
If you zoom in the image you can read its a 555. Heh.
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 20210416_160926 - EletriciansForums.net

I remember visiting a US electronics manufacturer called Allied Signal and being astonished by the automated line which produced circuit boards, inspected and tested them and then sent them off for environmental stress testing - without any human hands touching the boards.

Here is a youtube clip of another firm's production line which I thought you'd enjoy watching.

The printed circuit boards in the equipment I am familiar with were multilayer boards in order to make all the necessary connections, so crammed were the the boards with ics. Quite how this was achieved I must one day look up. I know they cost hundreds or more £ pounds each. Costing so much they were often repaired where possible to do so.

Thank you for the video, very nice and I watched a couple of similar ones in the past. I know about their real existence and how cool they are.
So, mister @marconi I am in need of your assistance. If you can, of course.
It is a side project but is still important to get it rolling. I mentioned I have a pickit2 ready and 10pcs of PIC 12f508.
I stay like 14h to figure out how to install all the necessary software for pickit2 and to actually see the pickit2 listed as normal option to select, because it was gray out and I could not select it as an option. In MPLAB :
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? Screenshot_1 - EletriciansForums.net
Again, I did this thing in the past, and programmed some 16f84A and some others, but not many.
Now that my pickit2 is alive, all I need is the correct stuff to send to it and to it's 12f508 that I installed on a "pickit2 DemoBoard" exactly like this one:

How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 1618642065297 - EletriciansForums.net
Please tell me what to start to send to it.
I started with these lines yesterday.
As you can see, PICkit 2 is recognized.
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? Screenshot_2 - EletriciansForums.netBut I am not sending something important to him in the code. And I have no clue what is the correct way to send instructions anymore. Maybe you can help me. I know I made it work in 2001 with a special "recipe" in the beginning. But I dont know what it was anymore. Or it was only for certain PIC's like 16F84?
Or at least where to look and search how to transmit the correct header or start of the code?
Thank you !
If I try to program it, I get this error: (the red line)
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 1618643361312 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
And here is how it looks in reality.
The position of the PIC chip is correct, it's chip key pointing up towards the pickit2 black thing programmer.
The leds are connected through those 4 white jumper wires, because this is a 8pin chip and you have to rewire those pins.
I connected:
07-10 = RA0-RC0 = led1=DS1
08-11 = RA1-RC1 = led2=DS2
09-12 = RA2-RC2 = led3=DS3
03-06 = RA3-RC3 = led4=DS4
How to shield a live wire at 240V ? 20210417_101147 - EletriciansForums.net

Good morning. I would have to do some reading up first - quite a bit - before I could begin to help. I will see what I can do but it would be at the expense of my Version 3 so I would prefer not to. You might want to ask elsewhere for an earlier response. I have not used a Pickit before. One day I want to buy a Raspberry Pi but at the moment I rather like doing digital circuits 'long hand' using discrete logic ics.

Good morning and thank you for your response.
If you didn't work with this kind of hardware then I will not put you to trouble.
I will ask somewhere else then.
Here is the datasheet for this particular pic 12f508.
Maybe you have luck and you can find the initializing code for it. Take a quick look, maybe you are lucky. If not, then is good that I try it through you as well.
That code that i write there is from other codes, I didnt look (too hard) in this datasheet yet. I did peek in it but not for too long. But I will in the end if nothing else come out.

As an alternative, I forget to mention, this is the entire list of PICs I have
12F508
12F629
16F505
16F690
16F84
16F684
but 1 of each, exception for 12F508 where I have 10pcs.

Reply to How to shield a live wire at 240V ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock