Discuss How to turn off or unplug outside light which is on alot (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Novicemum

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there I am new to this forum. I am a single mum and trying to do any jobs around the house myself so if the advice is I need a professional then let me know. I moved into this house 2 years ago and have never got to the bottom or root of my outside light. It has a sensor and seems to be motion sensor but it is on all times of the night and on for long periods of time. My dad helped me have a good look as to the source of the light but the cables don't seem to go anywhere obvious and there are no switches inside the house which do anything. The light is running my bills up and I just am happy to have it off completely but have no idea how. We attempted to tape up the sensor but (a) it didn't work seemingly and (b) I dont want it to be obvious it doesn't work as a safety precaution. Any advice? Thanks in advance. I have pictures unsure how to upload them!

TL;DR
Can't find source of outside light is running up bills
These things have an infra red motion sensor and also an ambient light sensor that is intended to stop the light coming on during the day. Both are normally adjustable, and might be incorrectly set. The motion sensor part can also be triggered by tree branches or large plants moving in the wind if there is something behind them which is hotter or cooler.
Or it might just be faulty.
It's bad practice to install these things without an isolating switch indoors, and ideally a switch to keep it permanently on as well, but you are stuck with what you have, of course.
An obvious way to stop it illuminating is to remove the lamp.
Pics would help if you can work out how to upload them. Click on the attach files box in the bottom left of the box where you write your post.

HOW LONG DOES IT STAYON FOR, IF IT SWITCHES AT ALL?

These things have an infra red motion sensor and also an ambient light sensor that is intended to stop the light coming on during the day. Both are normally adjustable, and might be incorrectly set. The motion sensor part can also be triggered by tree branches or large plants moving in the wind if there is something behind them which is hotter or cooler.
Or it might just be faulty.
It's bad practice to install these things without an isolating switch indoors, and ideally a switch to keep it permanently on as well, but you are stuck with what you have, of course.
An obvious way to stop it illuminating is to remove the lamp.
Pics would help if you can work out how to upload them. Click on the attach files box in the bottom left of the box where you write your post.
Thank you for your response I am managing to upload photos here. Unfortunately several things in this house are a botch job so I would.not be surprised if this was one of those. Where might I find an isolating switch? Happy to remove the bulb is it safe to do so if I can't turn off the power to it though?

Attachments

• 20210508_194940.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210508_194935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210508_194950.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210508_195000.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 37
that'sa LED fitting. youcan't remove the bulb, saying that. it don't take much leccy. e.g. if it's 30 watts, cost about 0.5p/hour. probable cause is a faulty PIR, so replacement by an electrician is advisable. insist on a means of isolation though.

From the look of it I would say it is a professional job.
they are both LED lights and will cost almost nothing per year to run.

I wonder if the 2 outside lights are linked to come on together.
passing traffic could maybe set them off

That looks a bit more 'upmarket' from the usual cheap tat I was expecting, and looks like a professional install.
It's a modern LED floodlamp (lamp not removeable), and it doesn't take a lot of electricity, so I doubt if it has a serious effect on your bill.
It has a separate sensor, which I would expect to be of a better quality than the type hanging out the bottom of a lamp. If you can identify the make of the sensor, you may be able to find the instructions for setting it on line.
(There's been multiple posts since I started writing this, probably saying similar to me, but I'm posting anyway!)

It looks like it's possible that it is taking power from the front light... Are those switched somewhere perhaps? If so you could see whether turning those off also turns the rear light off.

If that is the case, the cables could be disconnected to feed it fairly safely while the front light is isolated.

Do have you foxes, cats or other nocturnal visitors to the garden? They can also be a cause of regular triggering (Though if the light is staying on for longer than say 10 minutes at once it's more likely a faulty PIR sensor).

If you or Dad is able to get up a ladder and look at the sensor at the rear, it will likely have 2 or 3 control dials.

One will be how dark it is before the light triggers (often with a picture of sun/moon)
Another will be how long the light stays on for (likely to be 30 seconds to 10 or 20 minutes range)
There may be a third, which would be sensitivity.

It's possible that it is just set to come on for a long time, and that something is triggering it regularly.

Turning down the sensitivity, or setting it to a shorter time may solve the issue.

Though as previously mentioned, the cost to run it is a lot less than an ordinary bulb - somewhere around 0.5 pence per hour while it's on - maybe about £12 a year in total.

Hi there I am new to this forum. I am a single mum and trying to do any jobs around the house myself so if the advice is I need a professional then let me know. I moved into this house 2 years ago and have never got to the bottom or root of my outside light. It has a sensor and seems to be motion sensor but it is on all times of the night and on for long periods of time. My dad helped me have a good look as to the source of the light but the cables don't seem to go anywhere obvious and there are no switches inside the house which do anything. The light is running my bills up and I just am happy to have it off completely but have no idea how. We attempted to tape up the sensor but (a) it didn't work seemingly and (b) I dont want it to be obvious it doesn't work as a safety precaution. Any advice? Thanks in advance. I have pictures unsure how to upload them!
Remove the bulb/lamp and get an Electrician to isolate the cable safely

Some sensors have a 'dusk to dawn' option which could keep lights on all night, but it looks like a Robus PIR which I dont think it does have that option so just may need adjusting (Sensitivity, Lux Level etc ) to work correctly?

Reply to How to turn off or unplug outside light which is on alot (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net