Discuss How to wire switch at end of run. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I appreciate help for my electrical issue.

We have two sets of stairs running from garage to upstairs of our condo. The run starts in the garage and has a gfi which feeds 3 outlets and 4 lights. At the top of the stairs, there is a light and I added an outlet there which made 3 outlets total. I also added a light in the middle of the run which is controlled by a separate switch but is not affected by the following:

The other light switch is at the end of the run at the top of the stairs, and when I turn it off, it turns off all three lights. The outlets remain hot.

How do I wire this so that only the top light turns off by that switch? The other two in the run are motion lights and I'd rather they were able to stay that way. The diagram attached is exactly how it's wired at the top of stairs, end of run.

I work with lots of electricians, but due to the virus our Chrysler plant is shut down. I never thought I'd miss them. :)

Thanks for your help, and I tried to be as wordy and not wordy as possible. Lol

Scott

Attachments

• wiring-switch-and-outlet-in-one-box.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 9
A diagram including all parts and switches may be of more help and which ones you want altering.

A diagram including all parts and switches may be of more help and which ones you want altering.
I did attach a diagram to the last double gang box in the run. Everything before that works fine, I need to find a way to wire that switch in the diagram to only turn off the last light. Not the ones before that box. That is the part that has me stumped, why it's turning off the other two.

If it turns off the other two they must somewhere along the line be connected from that switch.

Hello. I appreciate help for my electrical issue.

We have two sets of stairs running from garage to upstairs of our condo. The run starts in the garage and has a gfi which feeds 3 outlets and 4 lights. At the top of the stairs, there is a light and I added an outlet there which made 3 outlets total. I also added a light in the middle of the run which is controlled by a separate switch but is not affected by the following:

The other light switch is at the end of the run at the top of the stairs, and when I turn it off, it turns off all three lights. The outlets remain hot.

How do I wire this so that only the top light turns off by that switch? The other two in the run are motion lights and I'd rather they were able to stay that way. The diagram attached is exactly how it's wired at the top of stairs, end of run.

I work with lots of electricians, but due to the virus our Chrysler plant is shut down. I never thought I'd miss them. :)

Thanks for your help, and I tried to be as wordy and not wordy as possible. Lol

Scott
Scott if you want that switch to also control another light. Add your live wire for the light you want to the screw that’s not hot until you turn on your switch

Scott if you want that switch to also control another light. Add your live wire for the light you want to the screw that’s not hot until you turn on your switch
Thanks, but I want that last switch to only control the light at the end of the circuit. The ones in the middle of the circuit are motion activated and I want them always hot.

How I wire it to do that is my problem. The diagram is exactly how the last gang box in the run is wired. The motion lights are before the box in the diagram.

Thanks, but I want that last switch to only control the light at the end of the circuit. The ones in the middle of the circuit are motion activated and I want them always hot.

How I wire it to do that is my problem. The diagram is exactly how the last gang box in the run is wired. The motion lights are before the box in the diagram.
The only way I think you can do that is replace that switch for a 3 way switch and use the extra screw to turn on your light

The only way I think you can do that is replace that switch for a 3 way switch and use the extra screw to turn on your light
From that drawing if he wants some of the lights to have permanent supplies some rewiring is required.

Ok, I tried wiring like this diagram, but it did the same thing I had, except with two switches instead of one. Lol

I hope my explanation isn't confusing. I do want the lower two lights to have permanent power so the motion illuminates them. I don't want the top switch controlling the light which is the last thing on the run, to turn off the lights down below.

There is a red wire that goes from the second outlet to the top, but I don't know where it's powered from. Living in a condo makes this sort of thing harder than it should be.

I appreciate the input, for sure.

Attachments

• 3way switch.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
[/QUOTE]

And to add, like I said the outlets in the run are all hot all the time,..and the light I ran off it down stairs works regardless of what the top switch does.. that switch only turns off the two motion lights and the one at the end of the run.

Reply to How to wire switch at end of run. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net