Discuss How would you put this right? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

A house that has 2.5m T&E from the back of a kitchen socket (ring) outside the wall in a thick water pipe burried 2ft underground, travels about 7 meters to an outside building (brick shed) and comes up from the floor of the building about 1ft, this at the minute is just connected to a 30a JB.

From this there is planning to be 2 sockets and a couple of lights.

Now i know if i was to do this from scratch i would run on its own circuit using SWA and fit a garage unit.

But the owner of the house is determined to keep this as it is, and just wants it making safe and as right as can be.

Now this cable is RCD protected as it comes off the ring main of the house.

How would you isolate the supply feeding the outside building ?

How would you connect this inside the outbuilding to feed a couple of sockets and lights ?

Sid here's a link from the IEE about out building supplies. It is to the 16th Ed but least it will give you some options.

http://---------------/Publish/WireRegs/WiringMatters/Documents/Issue16/2005_16_autumn_wiring_matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf

Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh good link,

just what i was thinking double pole isolator!..
wasnt sure tho... but you have just confirmed it

Sid here's a link from the IEE about ouy building supplies. It is to the 16th Ed but least it will give you some options.

http://---------------/Publish/WireRegs/WiringMatters/Documents/Issue16/2005_16_autumn_wiring_matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf

Warren

Garage supply taken from a spur off the downstairs ring final circuit

So the switched fuse spur would have a 13a fuse in it, and a 20a double pole isolator in the shed ?

Suelry if there's quite abit of load coming from the shed, couple of lights on, things plugged into sockets isnt there a high risk of popping the 13a fuse?

Is this a really dumb thing to say? ..lol

Yep done a simliar job at my place a good while back, but I did use a FCU off the ring, SWA and a small two way board for the circuits into my shed.

The only thing I would say if you took the route I did is that you need to think about discrimination between the two RCD's form the your main CU and the sub CU.

Sorry Sid we must of typed at the same time. I would check to see what is going to be used in the shed in terms of load?

2 x ip light fittings also 2 double sockets, would be used for garden equipment (lawnmower, strimmer) also power tools could be used from time to time.

if you are supplying a seperate outhouse you need to change the earth system to a tt as you are not allowed to relly on the supply earth
this meaning you would not terminate your earth of your outhouse supply cable at the outhouse side and then supply an earth rod as a means of earth..... this is in the regs

geecam

if you are supplying a seperate outhouse you need to change the earth system to a tt as you are not allowed to relly on the supply earth
this meaning you would not terminate your earth of your outhouse supply cable at the outhouse side and then supply an earth rod as a means of earth..... this is in the regs

geecam

Good point

All depends what earthing system the house has , as to whether or not you can export the earth

Reply to How would you put this right? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock