Discuss I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sham

-
Reaction score
Hello, I am a self-employed electrician who has carried out work for a pub/club in my area. I did not do a contract. It’s been nearly 2 years and he has not paid me. He owes me over £5000. I tried seeking advice and somebody suggested that I go on-line to claim through MCOL on GOV.UK site. Apparently it is the cheapest option. It says on the online-document, before a claim is made I need to follow an pre-action protocol. The pre-action protocol booklet that I downloaded confused me. Can someone please tell me which steps I can take.

What I have so far,

I have messages between me and him regarding the work.

I have taken pictures.

My Scheme assessor came to look at the work and I have an assessment report to that address.

I have completed an Electrical installation Certificate.

Have you invoiced him, sent reminders and then sent a final demand for payment? If so, did you retain copies?

Have you invoiced him, sent reminders and then sent a final demand for payment? If so, did you retain copies?
I've Invoiced him, sent emails, he even said he had a payment plan for me. But they seem to be false promises.
When phoned him and asked in a direct way ''Why have you not paid me''. He put the phone down on me, when I texted him ''Why have you not paid me'' . He replied with, '' What are you on about I have paid you, and don't call me when you're drunk'' Followed with ''Where are the reciepts, invoice'' etc.I have gave him these repeatedly. His done this before to others as I started to do an investigation on him, after he conned me.

Pete's right, go to a solicitor and get him to send a letter pre legal proceedings, that quite often does the trick.
You should by now be adding interest and all costs, so that's the solicitor's cost from the start.

I really feel for you on this one. I think you have faced the fact that he is never willingly going to pay you.
So either drop it and put it down to experience or do what I would do and employ a solicitor.
I just don't want him to get away with it, since my work the place has became busy, he has events. Everytime I go pass, I know If it was not for me his place would not of been what it is now. £300 pounds worth of material and fixtures that he is using, all mine.

now I going to give you a bit of advice.
1) send him a registered letter
2) send him a email
3) no reply
4) if you have given him a 30 day invoice in which you have given him
well passed the 30 days (2 years )
5 go to your courts get the forms fill them in let the court send him that you are now in the proceed to recover the Moines
if he has not paid send him the sheriffs .his will start back side will squeaking .

they don't have sheriffs in w. midlands. they have Pontius Pilate.

most solicitors will give half hour free advice, although they may ask why it took so long to start chasing it.
It will be worth it in the end, even if you have to fork out 1k to get your 5k back. better you having it than them keeping it.
There are several threads on the forum, including my own, that all suggest take them to court. Contract or not, you have done work, they have not paid... your emails and texts will be good evidence if it ever comes to it. You may find a court paper landing on their doorstep is enough for them to pay up.

Next step is to let some rats loose in their beer garden

I get many calls form different people ,saying any Moines owning you.
now that what you want .some airy a** t**T knocking on his door .
I had the same, they even came to my house and checked my paperwork. They asked for £850 up front cost. I did not have it. I asked if they did no win no fee. They said no. Not being paid from this job and work being a little slow, I can not afford it.

I had the same, they even came to my house and checked my paperwork. They asked for £850 up front cost. I did not have it. I asked if they did no win no fee. They said no. Not being paid from this job and work being a little slow, I can not afford it.

You don't need to pay such muppets ...................... just send them a final demand letter stating that if full and final payment isn't received by a date +10 days after the letter is sent then you will commence legal action....

Its worth noting that the cost of going to the small claims court is added to the outstanding bill and therefore the customer will pay it.

No wonder you are short of money if you don't chase payments after 30 days .............. 2 years is beyond stupid.

Reply to I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock