Discuss Idiotic Schemes and members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went to a job the other day and found that an NICEIC approved domestic installer employed by a conservatory company had installed a small CU and run a 4mm 3
Core SWA to run some sockets and lighting in the conservatory.

On closer inspection he’d split the tails with Henley block to feed to new CU. He’d then installed a flex gland for the SWA (no popper gland) but worst of all, he’d installed a BS61008 32a 30ma RCD for protection. No overcurrent protection at all!

We decided to inform the house owner. She said she’d get on to the conservatory company. She checked the certificate and found that he’d left the overcurrent box blank.

After she’d contacted the conservatory company, I get a call today from the house owner saying that the ‘sparks’ had shown up unannounced and was very aggressive. He didn’t want to talk to me in the phone. She said he went to something in the conservatory and announced, ‘look, it is earthed!’ She proceeded to tell him that the problem was with the breaker and what was on the certificate. When he was shown the certificate (which was about 4 years old) he snatched it and filled in the blank box with the numbers ‘61008’.

Now tell me, why oh why oh why are the NICEIC letting people in like this? When we were admitted into the NIC, I for one was so proud to be a member. Since the advent of the other schemes, this trade has gone to sh*t! I feel so sorry for this lady.

It seems that the NIC maybe more interested in revenue than having fully qualified professional electricians as members and could it be that this is because I all the other schemes are too!?

You’d think they’d all know by now that price based competition lowers standards whereas service based competition raises standards!

Why do you think that other schemes are to blame for the poor standards found within the ranks of the NICEIC domestic installer scheme ?
For years and years the NICEIC let in applicants with minimal qualifications, the lowest of all schemes. They actively collude with Electrical Trainee training centres to churn through revenue supplying applicants.

Any cheapening of the reputation the NICEIC once had is their own making.

Give them a call about the conduct of this particular installer and see how much of a ---- they give.

I did a recent post,where i was called to give an opinion on a recently fitted domestic CU. That too,was installed by a member of a well known scheme...can't say which one,but it's the same one...:rolleyes:

Obviously no testing done previous to ripping original one out,must have realised issue too late,and hey presto...all lights and upstairs sockets are on a 6A MCB...which the hoover sorts out 4 times out of 5.

Feedback from stunt-fitter,was "yeah,can be a problem,them old properties..."

Is it the worst i've seen? ... Not by a long chalk...:(

Why do you think that other schemes are to blame for the poor standards found within the ranks of the NICEIC domestic installer scheme ?
For years and years the NICEIC let in applicants with minimal qualifications, the lowest of all schemes. They actively collude with Electrical Trainee training centres to churn through revenue supplying applicants.

Any cheapening of the reputation the NICEIC once had is their own making.

Give them a call about the conduct of this particular installer and see how much of a **** they give.
I don't think he's saying the other schemes are to blame. He seems to be castigating them.
This all came into being with the government instigated 'changing of the goalposts'.
Your 'years and years' then began.
As a result, the schemes came along, creating today's farcical, money making, disgrace.
'NICEIC approved domestic installer', throws me a bit, though.

Last edited:
Went to a job the other day and found that an NICEIC approved domestic installer employed by a conservatory company had installed a small CU and run a 4mm 3

On closer inspection he’d split the tails with Henley block to feed to new CU. He’d then installed a flex gland for the SWA (no popper gland) but worst of all, he’d installed a BS61008 32a 30ma RCD for protection. No overcurrent protection at all!

We decided to inform the house owner. She said she’d get on to the conservatory company. She checked the certificate and found that he’d left the overcurrent box blank.

After she’d contacted the conservatory company, I get a call today from the house owner saying that the ‘sparks’ had shown up unannounced and was very aggressive. He didn’t want to talk to me in the phone. She said he went to something in the conservatory and announced, ‘look, it is earthed!’ She proceeded to tell him that the problem was with the breaker and what was on the certificate. When he was shown the certificate (which was about 4 years old) he snatched it and filled in the blank box with the numbers ‘61008’.

Now tell me, why oh why oh why are the NICEIC letting people in like this? When we were admitted into the NIC, I for one was so proud to be a member. Since the advent of the other schemes, this trade has gone to sh*t! I feel so sorry for this lady.

It seems that the NIC maybe more interested in revenue than having fully qualified professional electricians as members and could it be that this is because I all the other schemes are too!?

You’d think they’d all know by now that price based competition lowers standards whereas service based competition raises standards!
One word Marky Money

One word Marky (MONEY)

If you ask the schemes about this sort of stuff (I have at Elex) they say its not within their remit to investigate ............... go figure .......... makes you wonder why it worth the hassle.........

If you ask the schemes about this sort of stuff (I have at Elex) they say its not within their remit to investigate ............... go figure .......... makes you wonder why it worth the hassle.........
You could try emailing EMMA CLANCY at certsure, but in hindsight She will do SFA.

You could try emailing EMMA CLANCY at certsure, but in hindsight She will do SFA.

One of my customers had a problem with one of their members ..... all the NICEIC said was get them back ........... which she didn't want to do ........... so she paid me to investigate and passed the NICEIC member my costs and told them to come back .......... which they did, thinking they were going to get the roofing work too (they were general builders) .............. when they finally turned up ......... the roof had been done by others and 2 of them spent 1 day fixing the issue.

funny

and when I was there last week I did test to confirm the issue had been fixed .......... the contractor didn't provide a cert .....

Surely these organisations must read these comments?

One of my customers had a problem with one of their members ..... all the NICEIC said was get them back ........... which she didn't want to do ........... so she paid me to investigate and passed the NICEIC member my costs and told them to come back .......... which they did, thinking they were going to get the roofing work too (they were general builders) .............. when they finally turned up ......... the roof had been done by others and 2 of them spent 1 day fixing the issue.

funny

and when I was there last week I did test to confirm the issue had been fixed .......... the contractor didn't provide a cert .....

They have thick skins Mate, thick skins and big wallets, they don't care about anything but making Money, despite what was said at the Big Committee meeting held a few years back, it's a business not a service, and what do businesses thrive on? Profit (Money), sorry to go on (probably get some "old" icons, but this isn't a new thing is it?

funny

They have thick skins Mate, thick skins and big wallets, they don't care about anything but making Money, despite what was said at the Big Committee meeting held a few years back, it's a business not a service, and what do businesses thrive on? Profit (Money), sorry to go on (probably get some "old" icons, but this isn't a new thing is it? gather lots of evidence and send it to the Chair of that Committee meeting, can't recall his name, but someone will know, failing that send the evidence to you Local MP recorded delivery of course.

Sad really, especially when people are told "ensure you get a registered electrician..." but half of us 'registered' electricians are w@nk. Private companies are ALWAYS for profit. Don't believe otherwise.

Reply to Idiotic Schemes and members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net