Discuss Idiotic Schemes and members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Someone posted about Napits recent proposal, which sounded relatively reasonable, apart it being restricted to registered business.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents...t-P-and-the-Independent-Review-20-June-18.pdf

And being a member of a scheme of course. :)

That’s not a bad start. I would go further though.

The five week wonder schemes for Part P should be banned, full stop!

This is because a requirement for entitlement into a scheme to enable someone to self certify their electrical work should be that you are a qualified electrician to start with!!!!!

Just because you have a regs course doesn’t mean you are capable of safely wiring a kitchen (where most of the electrical load is) or a bathroom where a lot of the danger is, or a garden where a lot of people get hurt. If this were the case, what is the point of the three years or more that we as qualified professional electricians did?

There should be much much more of a recognition of the C&G or NVQ qualifications that one does to become a qualified electrician and this should be taken into account when applying for the self cert schemes, and any other scheme including the ECS.

The ECS is another bloody joke. They don’t even recognise a C&G now and yet they are giving gold cards to guys who have only just qualified with an NVQ and no site experience. Most wouldn’t even know where to put their name in an EIC or EICR. The excuse is that the C&G is not now current qualification for being an electrician! Go figure!?

Another big question is that why does Part P only apply to domestic properties????
If it’s needed at all (which I don’t believe it is as we have enough legislation in exams and qualifications anyway) it should be applied across the board. Electrical is electrical is electrical!
Why is there a distinction between domestic and any other kind of electrical work at all? If installed incorrectly it kills, end of!

In my opinion Part P is a sticking plaster that was made of tissue, didn’t really have any adhesive and is now beginning to peal off. All qualified sparks have one thing in common; we are all qualified! We did the appropriate qualifications to become professional electricians.
Surely these qualifications alone should be the absolute basis, starting point or foundation for any Part P or similar scheme!

We, as qualified electricians, have spent three or more years training for this trade, only to be upstaged or downgraded by someone who has none of the necessary qualifications but who has done a five week course. They are then admitted into a self cert body and are not even qualified electricians. They can then install electrical equipment and circuits, certify and even sign off the work under law as being safe!!!!!

This is a crazy situation and needs to be changed immediately.

The idea also was supposed to control the work of kitchen and bathroom fitters. They do the Electrical Trainee or whatever the course is called and then suddenly Kevin is an electrician changing consumer units etc whereas once he was doing small alterations. For them should have been graded limited scope.

Haha, I see nothing has changed in this area since I was last a regular on here a few years back.
What's his name has retired though(?), be thankful for small mercies :D

The idea also was supposed to control the work of kitchen and bathroom fitters. They do the Electrical Trainee or whatever the course is called and then suddenly Kevin is an electrician changing consumer units etc whereas once he was doing small alterations. For them should have been graded limited scope.

I have never understood why kitchens were removed from part p - kitchen fitters are some of the worse offenders for ignoring BS 7671 imho

They have thick skins Mate, thick skins and big wallets, they don't care about anything but making Money, despite what was said at the Big Committee meeting held a few years back, it's a business not a service, and what do businesses thrive on? Profit (Money), sorry to go on (probably get some "old" icons, but this isn't a new thing is it? gather lots of evidence and send it to the Chair of that Committee meeting, can't recall his name, but someone will know, failing that send the evidence to you Local MP recorded delivery of course.

The chair of that committee was Clive Betts MP.

With regards to the RCD being used for overcurrent protection, it would be interesting to get the culprit's opinion on what an RCBO is and does.

We’re waiting for him to ‘look into it’ and come back to the client but that was nearly a week ago now and I’m not holding my breathe. In any case he hardly speaks any English apparently so his we may need an interpreter for his opinion.

Quick update: we've been back after the client wanted a couple of other things checked . Turns out the guy has run a 4mm or 6mm SWA to a 1 gang flush box. From here he's taken two 2.5mm twin and earths for a RFC and connector blocked these to the SWA.

This chap is a class act!

Reply to Idiotic Schemes and members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net