Discuss I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes I do mate but it wasn't all that long ago. that's why I've been holding them up as an example.
Addictions-down
Hospitalisations-down
Treatment costs-down
Hepatitis infections-down
HIV infections-down
Drug related crime-down
Organised crime-down
Etc
Etc
What's not to like?

The Portuguese government's propaganda which tells you this.

The Portuguese government's propaganda which tells you this.

And the Portuguese government spends so much on propaganda.

Even the US with it's very public war on drugs is now legalising cannabis state by state.

The war on drugs is and has been lost for a long time.

Where there is demand there will always be a supply.

See prohibition in the good old US of A.

If you want to reduce demand then look at why the demand exists in the first place.

If we spent the same amount of cash fighting demand as we do fighting supply we would be in a better place.

The concerted campaign by the NHS and government against tobacco and alcohol has led to massive lifestyle changes.

Through education.

Specs be more specific where exactly are these spotty girls with no teeth offering a good time for a fiver
west London mate, but you really would not want to know them, they look like zombies, drawn faces, toothless and dirty looking. And yet they are some ones daughter . must be heartbreaking for the parents to see what there kids have become. It is just so very very sad, it guts me.

Bring back hanging I say, I may be a sad old git to most, nearly 70 the only drugs I have tried is Malt, Beer, smokes (cigarettes), co-codomal and a mouthful of some leaves from the middle east, legalize drugs, sorry there will always be some lowlife making money out of it, send in the expendables I say, this country is far to soft on criminals, I mean look at those 2 monsters that hacked that poor soldier to death in the street, and this dumb government is contemplating giving them legal aid, jeez, they ought to have been taken behind a wall and castrated, I bet they were high on something, as well as being radicalized by some zealot. Being as old as I am I have seen what drugs can do to people, young and old, drugs ruin people, stop it at the source, not easy you say, I know it's not but we are far to soft on dealers, to many do gooders to much PC and civil rights carp floating about, they are breaking the law of the land, deal with it robustly. RANT OVER sorry folks had to say my piece, there will be people who disagree I'm aware of that, these my personal thoughts nothing more, I expect a backlash, but hey hoo, thats life.

you'll get mo backlash from me, mate. totally agree.

In your opinion, my opinion is he was a great primeminister, unlike thatcher who you idolise, we all have differing opinions, thats what makes the forum so interesting. :grin:

Er no.

Blair was simply a watered down version of Thatcher. he didn't represent the working man, and neither do any of them now

Nick Clegg has today admitted that the current policy towards recreational drugs is a fight that successive governments have been losing for years and this situation is unlikely to change. For once I agree with him.
I say that recreational drugs should all be legalised for the following reasons-
Many people are harmed each year because dealers are not bothered what they mix with their crap to dilute it, if the trade were controlled then the purity could also be regulated. This would reduce strain on the NHS.
Tax could be generated from sales creating an income of many millions if not billions annually.
Profits from the trade end up in the hands of major criminals, legalisation would take this revenue out of criminal hands and put a lot of them out of business.
I hate to mention the T word but funds from the drug trade have been linked to terrorist groups over the years.
Over to you my learned friends for your opinions.
My only problem with legalising drugs is most addicts don't work and a lot steal to fund their habit,now too me it's bad enough that they steal anyway but stealing to get money then popping down to boots to buy the gear well that's even worse,unless they're going to release a high purity drug and hopefully bump a load of the scumbags off.

There'll be no need to steal if it were decriminalised.
Do you worry about alcoholics or gambling addicts committing burglaries?

There'll be no need to steal if it were decriminalised.
Do you worry about alcoholics or gambling addicts committing burglaries?
I think it's disgusting that any lowlife should go around stealing,there was an old lady round my way who was repeatedly broken into by drug using scumbags,also I hate the bleeding heart lawyers who play on things such as "they come from a broken home,they were abused as a child etc".Incidentally Trev on a slightly different note,an enhanced CRB will show any convictions that you've had regardless of age,that's why it's an enhanced.Although under the terms of the rehabilitation of offenders act a conviction is classed as spent after a certain length of time,there are situations when it may be desirable to know exactly what offences a person has commited,for example if someone gets convicted of under age sex then although that conviction will be spent after X number of years,you still would not want them working with young children.It's usually in situations where the employee may come into contact with children or vulnerable persons that an enhanced is required.

Cheers for that Phil, you obviously have read a lot of what has been posted. So
Do you think that a stupid mistake at 17yo should come back to bite a person on the arse 25 years later when they're a totally different person?
There was a question that you missed though
You mentioned drug addicts committing crime as a reason for recreational drugs not to be legalised.
Do you worry about alcoholics committing burglaries to feed their habits

Cheers for that Phil, you obviously have read a lot of what has been posted. So
Do you think that a stupid mistake at 17yo should come back to bite a person on the arse 25 years later when they're a totally different person?
There was a question that you missed though
You mentioned drug addicts committing crime as a reason for recreational drugs not to be legalised.
Do you worry about alcoholics committing burglaries to feed their habits
This is a conversation I had with a young lad recently,no I don't think that one stupid mistake should haunt you for life,however whether they're junkies,alcoholics or gambling addicts,the fact that they steal is not only wrong but shows the selfish mentality they have,there are things that I would like but cannot afford but I'd never dream of stealing to get them.One night some years back my wife was out for a walk,I was ill at the time,and as she came around the corner 2 lads jumped out at her,they looked like druggies,thin and wasted.Unfortunately for them,she'd been persuaded to take my works dog out with her and it pinned them up against the wall.Apparently they were there for about 15 minutes,although my wife was not the handler the dog went into "protect" mode,the thing was they had to wait 'till the dog got bored as she didn't know the command to make it walk away.I don't know who was more shocked,the junkies at the dog being there or my wife at what it did,she'd seen what it was trained to do but always thought it only worked when I put my uniform on.lol

The whole point of me starting this one was to try to get behind a lot of the BS that's thrown around about addictions. People talk about junkies (and yes, I hate what they do too) committing crime to feed their habit but are happy to ignore other addictions like gambling or alcohol because they are legal habits.
Some countries have relaxed their laws concerning recreational drugs and have seen a drop in related crime because of the way they treat it since decriminalisation. To me that has to be a better way, if you treat the causes of addiction it has to be better than treating the results of it. As always, education is the key.
There will always be a problem with people seeking oblivion in what ever way they can get it but the desire for that oblivion invariably (to me anyway) seems to come from poverty. The poorest areas have the higher degree of problems, sort that out and a good job has been done

Reply to I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net