Search the forum,

Discuss I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here's a scenario for you all.
A 17 year old is caught with a bit of cannabis resin in his pocket and gets a criminal record for it. She lives a completely blameless life for the next 25 years and becomes a totally different person from the one she was at 17.
At 42 years old she applies for a job and it crawls out of the woodwork and prevents her getting it. A job that she has been working towards for a few years and is amply qualified to do to a high standard.
Is that justice?

I think it's appalling and TBF said record would indicate the charge in England.

In Scotland it would just be listed as a drugs charge.

I think it's appalling and TBF said record would indicate the charge in England.

In Scotland it would just be listed as a drugs charge.
And in both places a stupid mistake made at 17 could preclude her from working at a job at 42 when she's a totally different person.

She/he would be under 18 so any conviction would not be shown in any record that any one can see
But I went to court once and a man was a bus conductor who had let his ma t e travel free and got caught . If you looked at his criminal record it would show employed embezzlement with no amount. The actual amount was 20p

If I had been caught doing what I did at that age and for a while afterwards I would not have had the opportunity to change lives in the social care sector.

I'm not suggesting I was some kind of super carer, but I did make a small difference to some peoples lives.

Some of the best social carers I know are great at their jobs and had their pasts been a matter of record they would be stacking shelves in the supermarket.

Which actually begs the question......

Given that use of recreational drugs is so widespread and has been since their discovery why do we continue to punish the few that are caught??

Trev, you prob already know about this but did you know Portugal legalised ALL drugs about 10years ago? Their country is far far better off now!

She/he would be under 18 so any conviction would not be shown in any record that any one can see
Some offences stay with you all your life, drugs convictions are one example.
At 18 I was in a nightclub, I bumped into a guy who I was at college with and stood talking. He got the beers in, we finished them then I got them in. It turned out he was 3 weeks short of his 18th birthday, I got a date in court and was fined £15.
That showed up on an enhanced DBS check 6 months ago. Strange, the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act says that 2 years after the conviction it no longer shows up.

Trev, you prob already know about this but did you know Portugal legalised ALL drugs about 10years ago? Their country is far far better off now!
Yes I do mate but it wasn't all that long ago. that's why I've been holding them up as an example.
Addictions-down
Hospitalisations-down
Treatment costs-down
Hepatitis infections-down
HIV infections-down
Drug related crime-down
Organised crime-down
Etc
Etc
What's not to like?

Some offences stay with you all your life, drugs convictions are one example.
At 18 I was in a nightclub, I bumped into a guy who I was at college with and stood talking. He got the beers in, we finished them then I got them in. It turned out he was 3 weeks short of his 18th birthday, I got a date in court and was fined £15.
That showed up on an enhanced DBS check 6 months ago. Strange, the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act says that 2 years after the conviction it no longer shows up.

Crikey whatever happened to paid your debt to society...

Reply to I'll start this week's in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net