Discuss incar power invertors in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi got another countdown conundrum!!

if ive got a 12v dc supply in my van rated at 15a, and i connect in an invertor transforming this to 230v rated at 150w.

12v 15A = 230v .6A (150w/230)

i know as the volts go up the currents come down and vise versa, im trying to figure out the max wattage 230v supply i can have!!

is it a case of 230/12 = about 19.1, so 0.6A x 19.1 = 11.5A?

meaning that my existing 12v 15A supply is quite happy with this,

so if i wanted say 1000w 230v in me van!! would it be:-

1000/230 = 4.34A 4.34 x 19.1 = 82.8A?!

as you can gather im wanting mains in me van so i can charge drills etc as im driving to jobs etc, do my sums make sense?? i only want a true sine version as well, as i know modified sine can damage batterys/chargers.

seen on tinternet you can get 8KW invertors??

8000/230 = 34.7 34.7 X 19.1 = 662A! surely this must be with the engine running or what?????

12V 15A is approximately 180W. Take into account the efficiency of the inverter (perhaps 80%) and you could get away with using a 150W inverter (230V, 0.65A).

All inverters are designed for engine running.

Just buy a 1000w or 2000w power inverter and that will power everything you need it to from a drill to a microwave (when you need something quick to eat on a job it comes in very handy!!)

Jobs a goodun!

yeah absolubtly, and surely something of this rating would need a huge fuse fitting within the van. ive only got a 15a cigarette lighter point in the back of me van, unless i ran a single 25mm cable via a big --- fuse to the back of the van!

Reply to incar power invertors in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock