Discuss Indoor swimming pool lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking at a job where the customer has an indoor semi-raised swimming pool (large Jacuzzi half buried in the floor) & they want down lighters in the ceiling which will be about 2.1m from FFL.
The question is, do theses have to be SELV or can i get away with mains class 2 IP65.
Every time i read section 702 of the big blue book it seems to contradict the last regulation.
The SELV lights are not the problem, it's the locating of the transformers & the amount needed (35 down lighters on 5 circuits), according to the regs they are not allowed in Zone 1,2.
So the only place is the dist board cupboard which is 12m from the furthest down lighter.

.Indoor swimming pool lights pool - EletriciansForums.net

SELV, wuth source of SELV outside of zones 0,1,and 2,..... 702.410.3.4.1 BYB 2015.

I am not an expert on indoor swimming pools, but to my way of looking at the regulations the height restriction in each zone is from the base of a bath, not the water level and I can't see that being any different for a pool.

I am not an expert on indoor swimming pools, but to my way of looking at the regulations the height restriction in each zone is from the base of a bath, not the water level and I can't see that being any different for a pool.
Hi Mike - my read of Figure 702.1 is Zone 0 is within the pool, so from the bottom to the top rim of the pool. Zone 1 starts immediately above Zone 0, so from the top of the pool rim and it goes up for 2.5m.
[automerge]1583823538[/automerge]
Just a thought, the SELV source being outside the zones would seem to be achieved they were located above the ceiling, as that area is outside any Section 702 zone.

Further reading - last para of 702.55.4
This may apply to your installation and also gives a way forward.

Last edited:
Hi Mike - my read of Figure 702.1 is Zone 0 is within the pool, so from the bottom to the top rim of the pool. Zone 1 starts immediately above Zone 0, so from the top of the pool rim and it goes up for 2.5m.
[automerge]1583823538[/automerge]
Just a thought, the SELV source being outside the zones would seem to be achieved they were located above the ceiling, as that area is outside any Section 702 zone.

Further reading - last para of 702.55.4
This may apply to your installation and also gives a way forward.
Thanks
I'll have another read of regs tonight, should send me off to sleep. ?

My knowledge of the regulations is French and volume 0 is indeed inside the bath, but volume 1 is still taken from the base of the bath as 2.25m from that, but as I said my knowledge is based on the French bath regulations and not on indoor swimming pools perhaps If I ever get an indoor swimming pool I will look it up, meanwhile I will make do with my outdoor pool. :cool:

In the swimming pool where I work, the design has the ceiling lighting as a mixture of selv and low voltage lighting (FFL above 2.25m). Obviously actual underwater lighting is selv (or equivalent). All those ‘transformers’ are in the pool plant room. The ceiling lighting is DALI, which is located in an adjacent plant room.

Reply to Indoor swimming pool lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock