• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Induction cooker hardwiring 32amp in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

vineeth

New EF Member
Hi All,

We are in the process of replacing our gas hob to an induction hob (7.35 KW, 32 Amp). Our electrician suggested that we get a radical circuit terminated at a 32 amp RCBO. There are currently double pole switches for exhaust and washing machine hanging from another ring main. Our idea is to have a grid with switches for all three appliance in one grid. Our electrician suggested that he can run the radical circuit to a 32 amp switch module in the grid, and use 20 amp switch modules for the exhaust and washing machine.

Following are my doubts:

1. Should we get a 32 amp or 40 amp RCBO
2. As per the induction cooker, it says "This product requires hardwiring to a 32 Amp fuse". The separate radical circuit and 32 amp switch would suffice?

32 amp switch : UK Electrical Supplies - https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/click-minigrid-md032wh-32a-double-pole-twin-width-blank-switch-module-white.htm

Induction cooker:
AEG IKE64441FB Electric Induction Hob - Black - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/hobs/aeg-ike64441fb-electric-induction-hob-black-10178521-pdt.html

Thanks in advance

mattg4321

Electrician's Arms
If you don't trust your presumably qualified, experienced and competent electrician, I suggest you find another that you do trust.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Lets be nice. :)

I would suggest that would be a poor design, to have all such appliances on the one circuit; not a great admirer of using grid switches for appliance, although its used extensively on new builds, primarily to comply with Part M, I think.

What is your current kitchen wiring set up @vineeth?

Reactions: DPG

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
If your spark is suggesting a 32A circuit for the hob, washing machine and cooker hood I would say he’s wrong.

Fixed appliances such as hobs should be on their own dedicated circuit .....

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
Do you do a lot of cooking and tend to have all the rings on for a decent amount of time?
That hob is rated at 7.35 kw so right on the limit if you’re an enthusiastic cook

vineeth

New EF Member
Hey All,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Guess I was not clear with my original post. Currently there are 2 ring mains:
[1] 32amp ring main where all appliances are connected
[2] Cooker ring main with a combi microwave and an oven.

The plan is to add another 32 amp radical circuit off a RCBO just for the induction cooker. The grid would have two 20amp switches (For dishwasher and exhaust from Ring main 1), and a 32amp switch (For the induction hob from the new 32amp radical circuit.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Hi All,

We are in the process of replacing our gas hob to an induction hob (7.35 KW, 32 Amp). Our electrician suggested that we get a radical circuit terminated at a 32 amp RCBO. There are currently double pole switches for exhaust and washing machine hanging from another ring main. Our idea is to have a grid with switches for all three appliance in one grid. Our electrician suggested that he can run the radical circuit to a 32 amp switch module in the grid, and use 20 amp switch modules for the exhaust and washing machine.

Following are my doubts:

1. Should we get a 32 amp or 40 amp RCBO
2. As per the induction cooker, it says "This product requires hardwiring to a 32 Amp fuse". The separate radical circuit and 32 amp switch would suffice?

32 amp switch : UK Electrical Supplies - https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/click-minigrid-md032wh-32a-double-pole-twin-width-blank-switch-module-white.htm

Induction cooker:
AEG IKE64441FB Electric Induction Hob - Black - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/hobs/aeg-ike64441fb-electric-induction-hob-black-10178521-pdt.html

Thanks in advance
That would be RADIAL circuit Vin

vineeth

New EF Member
Hey Pete / Charlie / Matt, thanks for the info. I guess the radical circuit would be best option to go for. Just have the doubt on whether I could use that 32 amp switch to hardwire the cooker on to this radical circuit. Hope I am making sense :)

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Hey All,

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Guess I was not clear with my original post. Currently there are 2 ring mains:
[1] 32amp ring main where all appliances are connected
[2] Cooker ring main with a combi microwave and an oven.

The plan is to add another 32 amp radical circuit off a RCBO just for the induction cooker. The grid would have two 20amp switches (For dishwasher and exhaust from Ring main 1), and a 32amp switch (For the induction hob from the new 32amp radical circuit.
This all seems awfully complicated.

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
The thing is with those type of hobs is that the combined load of all 4 hobs is about 10kW..
When all hobs are switched on the overall load is reduced..
In some instances I would apply diversity; such as the overall maximum demand but not for a single supply to this type of hob if it is known that it will be used at full power for long durations

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.