Discuss Initial verification and testing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
I’m in charge of the maintenance (machinery and facilities) in a plastics manufacturing business. I have a ‘team’ of little old me and an apprentice! We have 7 (soon to be 12) injection moulding machines and 8 extrusion lines, so to say we are busy is an understatement. Anyway, enough of me trying to get sympathy 😬😂

I myself am qualified in operations maintenance (multi skilled) and I have my 18th edition qual, but I have never taken it further to the C&G 2632? For inspection and testing as I haven’t needed to until now.

My Apprentice has submitted a job to his assessor for when he assisted my predecessor installing an EV charger. The assessor has asked to see the installation certificate which we don’t have on file. We’ve checked and my predecessor had C&G inspection and testing qualifications.

My boss (the MD) has always assumed that the EICR we have done every 3-5 years covers us from a legal standpoint, but my view is that is only to cover existing installations. Any new circuits added must be signed off by an electrician registered with one of the industry bodies.

I have been in contact with the company that carry out our EICR and they have suggested that I can complete a certificate. I can do that, but does that cover us/me from a legal standpoint? I’m dubious of that, so I have suggested that I gain the further qualifications.

Just wondered if anyone is in a similar predicament or knows the rules??

Thanks in advance 😊

It only covers existing circuits. Any new circuits must have an installation certificate and and alterations to circuits require a minor works certificate

It only covers existing circuits. Any new circuits must have an installation certificate and and alterations to circuits require a minor works certificate

I thought that was the case. When working as an employee for a company, do I need the C&G qualifications to be deemed as a competent person to complete these certificates, or am I covered by their employer’s liability insurance?

I feel I should add, I personally think I should, but my boss is a difficult man to persuade and I need hard facts to throw at him. Where’s the best place to look to find a definitive answer I can (for want of a better phrase) shove under his nose?

I usually just voice my concerns on an email and if they choose to ignore that email and push on anyway, then I have done my job and passed the responsibility on. However, the factory is expanding seemingly exponentially and is getting beyond the scope of that!!

All work needs to comply with reg but only work in dwelling is notifiable so you don't need to be part of a scheme. You do however need to be competent. The EIC has three sections for sign off, Design, construction and testing so you only sign off the areas that you are responsible for.

If its for a NVQ there's nothing stopping him filling one out for his portfolio regardless of the company's standpoint.

Reply to Initial verification and testing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net