Discuss Initial verification question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I've got my 2391... and was always taught and was under the impression that when carrying out R1+R2 tests on all circuits you must carry out the test at all points on the circuit, not the furthest point or a selection of points, I thought the test was to A. Prove a earth path that is suitable and B. Check polarity!

However one of the guys on the firm I work for yesterday has a grumble I was testing all points because it was 'taking too long' should I ignore him and carry on doing it my way or am I doing it wrong

Cheers

you're doing it right. test should be done at all points, otherwise how would you know if a cpc hadn't come loose in back of a socket. sadly, in this day and age, it's all too often that speed and price come second to quality.

you're doing it right. test should be done at all points, otherwise how would you know if a cpc hadn't come loose in back of a socket. sadly, in this day and age, it's all too often that speed and price come second to quality.
Thank you for your reply, I dug my heels in when he mentioned it, I'm just there to test there work so I dont want to miss anything

Are we taking eicr or new installation

If I have wired the circuits in question and I know the furthest points I would only test from the board at that furthest point

i also would consider testing only at furthest point only if i had wired it all myself.

I only ever test R1+R2 at the furthest point on initial verification, and carry out a Zs at all (accessible) points. There is little point in carrying out both tests at every point. Although you could of course do it the other way round. By accessible I mean if a connection is a pain to access I wont do it, although if there are exposed conductive parts I would likely do a quick R2 check with the wanderlead.

I only ever test R1+R2 at the furthest point on initial verification, and carry out a Zs at all (accessible) points. There is little point in carrying out both tests at every point. Although you could of course do it the other way round. By accessible I mean if a connection is a pain to access I wont do it, although if there are exposed conductive parts I would likely do a quick R2 check with the wanderlead.

If its a pain to access then isn't it more likely that there may be a poor connection which needs to be found?

Are we taking eicr or new installation

If I have wired the circuits in question and I know the furthest points I would only test from the board at that furthest point
i also would consider testing only at furthest point only if i had wired it all myself.

Why does it matter who wired it, we all make mistakes which is part of the reason we do initial verification testing, or are you magically immune from making mistakes?

i did say consider. all would depend on time factor and cost .

I was taught to test R1+R2 at the furthest point, the theory being if you test at the most furthest point on your radial circuit and get an exceptional reading it means there are no breaks in the line or cpc.
This is how I was taught.

Measure at All points and record the highest as the circuits R1+R2, regardless if it’s not the last point such as the strappers forming the 2 way lighting to the landing light and switched both ways.

I would verify cpc continuity at all points. After all, the purpose of the test is to ensure that it is connected at all points and not just that there's a cpc path to the end of the circuit.

I would only conduct the Zs test at the end of the circuit though, having already proven continuity of the cpc.

When doing spot checks as QS I have observed that test results have been conducted at the last point of say a lighting circuit but as the permanent live in and out are at the switch then by testing only the last point of the circuit only confirms that the cpc is present at the last point.
I found that a light containing only a switch live and neutral did not have a cpc connected to the means of earthing as it had not been adequately connected at the switch point, so it’s important that it is done at all points.
This was a school job in which all lighting is metallic and as such ,exposed conductive parts.

Last edited:

Reply to Initial verification question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock