Discuss Inrush current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

do you mean with values ?

Typical example are transformers, big inrush until the field gets established.
Often worse than motors size for size and they dont care whether there is any load.

Manufacturers give the data for inrush curves so you can match it to a breaker

No rob what it is a Madrix main switch with different settings on its a 200a switch set at 1 which is 200a but another dial next to it is set at 5 Madrix tech people said this is for your inrush current I'm awaiting an email of them explaining in better detail

In-rush or start up current is the extra current drawn to start certain items of equipment, such as flourescent lights, discharge lighting, DOL motors, welders, etc.
A setting of 5X the overload current seems rather extreme.
I'd expect 1.5X - 2X, hence type C and D MCBs.

Thermal O/L has a time curve the same as you would find on a domestic MCB.
Magnetic O/L is for short circuit protection. It needs to operate fast in the case of a S/C but must allow the magnetising “inrush” current for inductive loads without tripping. It’s a juggling act between sensitivity to short circuit and the let through for inrush.

Several years back I changed a burnt out 300Hp motor, the company policy was that any replacement had to be a high efficiency motor. High efficiency = higher inrush. First test run (direction check) with no belts on the pulleys, all OK. once the belts were put on, Oh dear, the 400A MCCB tripped immediately on instantaneous O/L. We had to fit a new MCCB that could withstand 8X current.
Final settings were I-th .95, I-in 7X. So I-in = 2800A

Plug is that what it would trip at 1000a seems very high to me tony explain a bit more

AS mentioned, could do with a photo of the switch in question. Or the make and model no. Some of the adjustable ones have setting for various Ix, and sometimes time. They allow you to tune the breaker. Some of these breakers may say they are 140/200 amp breakers, with a setting to tune them down from 200 amp. Some have inrush settings which are " XN " i.e. X the setting of the breaker, i.e. X5 maybe in your case. Some also have a time characteristic to shorten or lengthen the tripping times, a bit like an adjustable MCB.
If you think about it, you have to sometimes energise this breaker on load.
They use terms like In, Ir and Im, i have to look them up everytime.
Hope this helps.
The data should be available online, is most of the time.
I am forever reducing Ir as they always appear to be set at max, i.e. 1

Dont have i-phone but on my samsung i connect phone to pc, then i can see all the files from my laptop. I just click image in the reply box and browse to the phone and upload. My laptop uses a programme called Kiers to enable comms to phone.

You can upload them to the photobucket (its a free app) or similar site, then copy the
Inrush current {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like a 200A breaker that can be tuned down to 160A for normal long duration overload. Its currently set at 200A.
The next one is the short term overload (inrush) etc, this is a function of the first one.
i.e. X Ir - it is set to 5 but can go higher to 10, so the max in-rush current is 1000A as its is currently set.

Hope i got that right :)

Reply to Inrush current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock