Discuss Installing a Celling Fan w/ light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Installing a celling fan w/ light. Just purchased the house, and my wife and I are installing all new celling fans throughout the house. The house is an older house, built in the 80s.

The celling box has the following wires coming out:

Celling Box:
(2) Black, (2) Red & (2) White & (1) Ground

Celling Fan Wires:
(1) Black, (1) Blue, (1) White & (1) Green

In the room, I believe there are two light switches that control the fan. Need help ASAP, not certain which connects to what. If I took the old fan down myself, I would not have an issue. Please forward any recommendations & suggestions. And yes, safety first power to the main breaker is OFF. Thanks!!

I assume you know the fan wire colours. Is it possible to show the wiring at the switch.

Yes but do you have the instructions as to which is which. Black is probably the fan, blue the light and white neutral. Need to see the wiring at the switch.

Yes but do you have the instructions as to which is which. Black is probably the fan, blue the light and white neutral. Need to see the wiring at the switch.

See attached, let me know if you need more to go off on, hopefully this helps.79F8062A-AA10-4208-B6BC-B617E133E6CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems odd the black and blue are connected together is that the only wiring suggestion. Need to see the wiring at the light switch.

The 1st picture is the dedicated light switch (fan/light). The other pics are the dual light switch. The switch on the left side controls my lights to my balcony. And I’m pretty confident the one on the right would control the fan/light as well.

Attachments

• EFAB4E59-9548-4AA1-B879-EC5EFCF4E3A4.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 3
  • B087A634-7F62-4B97-96A9-BBA80FF31C04.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1940F50F-E715-4C75-9B8E-0BE521EFCE76.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 71F203A6-1AD1-4CC6-AADE-56846AE751D1.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 3
  • 3DFCC294-2FDF-4E0C-B5A9-A7570141973F.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
Sorry but from a distance I would only be guessing.

Reply to Installing a Celling Fan w/ light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net