Discuss Installing garden post lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I have been asked to install 2 garden post lights in and I was going to use a 3 amp fcu from the ring using 2.5mm then into a juntionbox with 1.5mm swa burried more than 600mm deep and concrete the posts in the ground. Just wondering if this was the correct way before I start ?

Last edited:
Why 1.5mm for 3A? Is it a long run?

There is nothing stopping you from using 1mm or 1.5mm. If you already have some 1.5mm then there is not much point in buying some 1mm.

What have cable manufacturers got against 1.0mm SWA???

When I installed almost identical posts to the ones in that picture,they were secured to the concrete by drilling rather than being concreted in
I ran swa to a conduit box and flex up the post

Might be easier to run earthed conduit under the ground and wire in singles

Some of the slimmer bollard lights are too thin to fit a conduit box in. These look very similar to the last set of these I had to install...caught me out, ended up using resin Y joints buried adjacent to bollard, with a tail up into the bollard connected directly to the lampholder.

Reply to Installing garden post lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock