Discuss interesting convo with NICEIC today in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had my annual visit today, passed so all good.
Discussed when exactly i was meant to have the 18th edition, he said that actually i didnt need to do the course as there is quite a long window.
As the NICEIC/Elecsa are allowing upto 2 years - yes 2 years for those already registered to get it as the criteria they have says a course or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge - open to interpretation i assume. guess they are worried that if too many people dont have it then it might hit the bottom line on annual fees! took me by surprise did that.
If you are joining as a new member then you need the 18th.
If you call the phone contact centre they will confirm the exact time frames for you. might be worth doing if you got an assessment coming up.
Kind of makes a mockery of things and the hard sell tactics of training centres.
Did have it confirmed that they will be keeping the 17th certs on the website for a month in 2019 and in any case if you design the job to the 17th edition but start it in the new year there is no cut off for certifying or requirement to do it to the 18th, bit like the move from previous editions as you still had plastic boards being fitted post AMD3 due to this caveat.

Existing Registered Electricians
What’s happening? By 01 July 2019 all current Registered Electricians with 17th Edition BS7671 need to have achieved a qualification in the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations (BS7671:2018).

Clip from ECS site just glanced over it so it’s actually July to remain registered

Existing Registered Electricians
What’s happening? By 01 July 2019 all current Registered Electricians with 17th Edition BS7671 need to have achieved a qualification in the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations (BS7671:2018).

Clip from ECS site just glanced over it so it’s actually July to remain registered
For the schemes (niceic/elecsa) they are makign there own rules away from that, as i said they want to keep people signed up and the certsure bank account healthy so allow 'equivalent knowledge/experience' until you've done it. there should have been 1 date across all schemes, cards etc to make it simple and clear cut. it would avoid all the confusion

To be clear Registered Electrician status from the JIB/ECS is not the same as having a gold card. It's an additional endorsement on the gold card if you promise to remain up-to-date with changes etc. This requirement therefore only applies to JIB Registered Electricians (as opposed to all gold card holders).

And just as the 18th Edition is about to come into force a Draft for Public Enquiry of the 5th Edition of the National Rules for Electrical Installations (to be designated Irish Standard 10101) has been published earlier this month...

Reply to interesting convo with NICEIC today in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net