Discuss Interview advice please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 109422

Hello there people.
I have an interview on Friday for a job at a local hospital. The hospital is now moving premises and the job entails PPM work and Reactive Maintenance. Thanks to the help from others here on this forum I understand about PPM and Reactive Maintenance, I feel I do have the skills to do most of these tasks (although I think I may fail with the fire alarm bit).

If anyone here could help out with what to expect during the interview or has advice then I really would appreciate it.

I have the 2391 qualification but haven't used it for years.
I have worked briefly in a prison environment as a maintenance electrician (that was awful).

I have some experience with the maintenance of a large zoo.

As a trainee I worked on a boat yard, assisting with the maintenance of workshops and the dry dock.

All advice would be greatly received as I really need this employment, my children have holes in their shoes.

Thanks.

I would read GN3, then read it again, then, if you've still got any will left, read it again.

Interview wise, the best advice I can think of from all the ones I've suffered the torment of experiencing, is, just be yourself. Don't wind yourself beforehand about it, think of it as just meeting your mate down the pub or something.

Good luck, fella! :)

Thanks Archy.
I do have a copy of GN3. I will attempt to read it tomorrow.
I am sure Health and Safety is a big issue on such a large site and I do have a SSSTS certificate. I have also completed an asbestos awareness course so hopefully that will show I am half sensible.

The job is only for around 3 or 4 months whilst the hospital moves premises. Some how I doubt much testing will be involved.

Thanks for the reply and well wishes, all the best mate.

A few general interview tips from me below:

Forget trying to relax - everyone is a bit nervous at interviews, and you will stress yourself out more trying to force yourself not to worry.

Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths - this is often asked by interviews, and people rarely have anything ready.

Have a couple of questions ready to ask them. This avoids the awkward silence when they say 'is there anything you' d like to ask us? ' and shows interest on your part.

And always remember, they are trying to recruit you, just as much as you are trying to get the job. It's a 2 way street.

Good luck!

Most interviewers follow the same proforma questions, just slightly adapted for the particular job or role.

So apart from the technical questions, think of some scenarios or situations you've been in, in the past that would answer them. A bit of poetic licence is allowed. :)

Like; give an example of when you have taken the initiative, tell about a time when you had a conflict with another individual and how you resolved it.

Then; what are your key strengths/skills, what are your weakness and what do you do to combat them.

Don't make a big thing of them, just have a broad picture of them, so when your asked, you not sat there racking your brains, trying to think of an answer.

You might what to think of your reply, if the temporary job turns into fulltime employment.

As others have said, be yourself and above all try to be relaxed as hard as that is being interviewed.

Good luck.

Good advice from Archy, be yourself is always best but can be difficult under pressure. Don't underplay your experience, you've got plenty to draw on and I'd have thought working in a zoo would have a few anecdotes and examples of best practice to break the ice and show professional work.

A hospital will be similar to most large buildings for electrical work but the Department of Health produces a set of 'Health Technical Memoranda' which set out best practice for health facilities. It may be worth a quick look at one or two and mentioning them in the interview to show enthusiasm. I'd check out these two..

Electrical safety guidance for low voltage systems (HTM 06-02)

Fire safety in the design of healthcare premises (HTM 05-02)

Don't get bogged down with the detail, just have a skim-read but if you let them know you're aware of the guidance it could give you an edge.

Good luck with it, I hope it goes well.

My sister works in a large hospital on the business side doing contracts and stuff. the NHS work to a worse case scenario so they often plan for the worse ie everything stops so that if only something stops they are more than prepared. from major incidents with lots of injured people to building things such as loss of power or water etc.. so. So can always ask them about how the process es work in that hospital and would you be given time to or help to get to grips with the site procedures etc.. might help to explain how you have dealt with similar things before, maybe in the prison? imagine if things go wrong there you have lots of angry cons without a tv and missing eastenders or no playstations to keep them entertained. so working under pressure and speedily ,safely, methoodically etc.. in a hospital loss of power or something can bring operations to a halt or risk patient safety.

Are there any clues in the job spec in respect of roles and responsibility? Will you be part of a team? Apart from the technical side of things I’m sure they’re likely to ask questions re health and safety and also throw in stuff on diversity / discrimination in the work place ... all the PC type stuff that the public sector go overboard on. Good luck :)

Wear matching socks, don’t pick your nose, and don’t watch football/ golf/ tennis on your phone while they’re asking questions
If you don’t come across as an know-it-all egomaniac, you’ll be fine. ;)

Hospital job = subsidised cafeteria = cheap breakfast everyday

Cheers guys.
I do actually give a F*ck what you all think. (Spoon..you made me laugh!)
These are the questions I have come up with to ask the people who are going to interview me...

1. I am going to ask about Asbestos. I have completed an asbestos awareness course.

2. I am going to ask about Risk Assessments (I have a SSSTS certificate).

3. I am going to ask "who is going to assist me"? "How many other Electricians will I be working with"? (I got caught out on that one with my prison experience!)

4. What will be the biggest challenge I will face with this job?

5. Are there any skills or experience you would like me to have to make me fit better into this role? (I will be buying the 18th edition of the Regs next week).

6. What are the next steps in this application process?

if you have ideas, or think I should change the above questions then please let me know.

Cheers. I think I need a beer,

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask if they pay for any advanced training/courses you may need for the job. E.g. Will they pay for the 19th (In six months time)

Shoei,
I have just had a look at your link..
Electrical safety guidance for low voltage systems (HTM 06-02)
I think a good thing to ask about, during my interview, will be about "admittance to switch rooms" in section 6. I know this will be an important part of my work and I understand the seriousness of this section so I can easily talk about it.

Thanks mate, cheers for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most interviewers follow the same proforma questions, just slightly adapted for the particular job or role.

So apart from the technical questions, think of some scenarios or situations you've been in, in the past that would answer them. A bit of poetic licence is allowed. :)

Like; give an example of when you have taken the initiative, tell about a time when you had a conflict with another individual and how you resolved it.

Then; what are your key strengths/skills, what are your weakness and what do you do to combat them.

Don't make a big thing of them, just have a broad picture of them, so when your asked, you not sat there racking your brains, trying to think of an answer.

You might what to think of your reply, if the temporary job turns into fulltime employment.

As others have said, be yourself and above all try to be relaxed as hard as that is being interviewed.

Good luck.

I love that one:)

I could probably do about 3 hours,on that topic,without notes....

End of interview would always be the same,though...

"Right then,peg.....we'll let you know....." :rolleyes:

A couple of observation concerning this interview:

Be confident.

If you don't know the answer to a question be honest don't waffle, but say or demonstrate that you know where to get the information.

And don't forget the majority of people on the other side of the table will probably not be electricians, if this project is liable to last more than three months then it will fall under the CDM regulations (Construction Design Management and Welfare Regulations) ask if a CDM Co-Ordinator has been appointed yet, Health and Safety is liable to be high on the agenda, if you can demonstrate a good knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment procedures this will go a long way in a Hospital environment, not generally acknowledged is that a Hazard Analysis's are carried out first, if no Hazards have been identified then a risk assessment does not need to be done, but if Hazards are identified then a Risk Assessment is to be carried out with the probably conclusion of a Method Statement being required to address the Risk, those simple facts can go a long way to impress those responsible for H&S in the interview.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Reply to Interview advice please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock