Discuss Interview coming up in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just looking for some advice. I've had about 3 interviews for apprenticeships and not gotten any of them. I don't mind that as it has given me experience in interviews and I feel I'm a lot better than my first. I have another interview in a few days. I really want this one and want to make a good impression. I don't have any work experience in trade and I feel my answers are quite generic.

Is there anything that I can do to make myself stand out and is there any other advice you can give me?

Thank you.

Research the company, it will help to tailor your responses to questions.

don’t forget the basics

on time
looking smart
polite and confident from the start.

have a small pad and pen with you, write useful notes.
i.e.
instead of wandering up to reception and muttering erm, I am here for an interview about an apprenticeship.

read your notes before you enter the building, you will then be able to go in with polite confidence, such as.

Good morning,
I am Scott Thomson
I have an interview with Mr Jones at 10.30.
could you let him know I am here please.

Read and follow the covid rules that are on the door before entering.
if it says mask, sanitise and use this phone, then do so.

Whilst you are at it, turn your PHONE OFF, not put it on silent or airplane etc, ACTUALLY TURN IT OFF.

if you are asked to wait then do so, look at the things around you or re read your notes, do not catch up on Facebook etc.

remember, your being assessed when you don’t realise.
little things can make a big difference
turn the music down before pulling into the car park
follow the speed limits on site
if there are marked walkways or crossings, use them.

think before opening your mouth, no matter who you think you are talking to, keep it professional.
Alright mate, where’s reception
or
good morning, how do I find reception.
your choice!!

for all you know, the person you just met could be the person interviewing you.

Good Luck.

Some excellent advice already above.
At the end there is usually an "anything you want to ask us" question. It looks better if you have one.
Check out the company online, find their facebook page etc. and have a question up your sleeve. Maybe "what are you seeing as growth areas at the moment?". Or if you are stuck for ideas do a little research into solar panels / EV chargers. You can then always directly ask whether they are finding much call for them as your interested in that topic. Basically trying to look like a living breathing thinking person not another robot off the college line ;-)
Overall attitude, coming over as personable and willing to listen and learn is more important than the answer to any one question.
Try to turn negatives into positives.
"Have you any experience working in the trade?"
"No, though I've been trying hard to get some including....." is better than "No"

All the best and believe in yourself, go in there thinking you'll get it!

If no joy from this interview, consider getting a general labouring job with a small building firm while you apply for more apprenticeships. It will give you experience of working on site, you'll get to work alongside all the other trades, and you'll learn loads. You'll have a current employer who can give you a reference, you'll make local contacts, and who knows, you might even earn a £ or 2.

Some excellent advice above.

The two things I would say are:

1. Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths.

2. Always have a couple of questions ready to ask them. It makes it obvious you have thought about things, and it also avoids that awkward silence when they say 'is there anything you would like to ask us?'

Good luck!!

There are a lot of people trying to get in on an apprenticeship. You need to realise what your "competitors" are coming to the table with. Some going for your job have experience of on-site work. Some set up rigs at home and practice doing wiring with a board and sockets and a small consumer unit. Doing fire alarms and burglar alarms. If I were hiring I am going to take them every time.
From the viewpoint of the hirer/firm getting a person from no site experience to a viable worker is some heavy lifting especially when you can get someone who can hit the ground running so to speak. It would help you if you did some reading around wiring and systems so that you can at the very least appear interested and knowledgeable and keen even. Watch youtube people like John Ward or Sparkyninja etc. Get on a course and learn the theory. Learn Ohms law etc.
So when you go into the interview you are keen and interested and have made some effort so they can see you are a useful asset.

I'm reminded of the story about a guy who was attending an interview for Cambridge. The master, who'd obviously seen many many candidates all day and was rather tired and bored with it all, was sitting in an armchair. He couldn't even be bothered to lower his copy of The Times that he was reading as the next candidate came in. From behind the paper he just instructed the fresh faced guy to sit down... then started the interview by just saying... 'surprise me..' So the quick thinking candidate took out his lighter and set light to his newspaper !

I don't suggest that the OP tries this at his interview... but it was certainly a way to stand out from the other candidates !

Thanks for the great advice!
Sorry, I should have said but my interview is through a video call. Also I have had some experience in electrics for example I know how to change sockets and plugs which my dad has shown me and I know the basics because I have done higher Physics. Also this sounds a bit dumb but I'm not really sure on how to find out any information about the electrics side of the highland council. Would I try and find out what projects their currently working on and ask them about that?

Look for an education program that suits you best? - You're lucky you ended up here. The fact is that I graduated from an excellent institution with a degree in electrical engineering.

He's not been on the forum for nearly 12 months.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Reply to Interview coming up in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock