Discuss Is a borrowed earth allowed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok I give up, I'm orrffh to cook a curry is my excuse.

My thoughts were that the cpc must remain effective throughout the life of the install. Therefore, if the RFC is altered or removed subsequently, the installer altering/removing may not know the other circuit is reliant on its cpc.
You could argue if the problem cpc has only one break it is now effectively connected to earth from either end. I think it would be prudent to fit some form of info at the CU.

I agree with Westy, the circuits cannot now be independently isolated, anyone working on the RFC in the future could potentially get a shock from the cooker circuit in the event of a fault on the cooker.
It is as BL says like borrowing a neutral, as soon as that link is disconnected there could be a potential difference between the two earth conductors.
Big problem with temporary repairs is that they have a nasty habit of become permanent repairs!
Also, what has now been done must surely screw the test results for the RFC, so how do you document that in the EICR?
Correct thing to do would be to isolate the cooker circuit and label it saying it is not to be used until remedial action has been carried out and document that to the client.

2) lowish IR readings 1.75M L-E and N-E on light circuits and one rfc but possibly in hindsight due to some bulbs, fan and appliances still plugged in. Could this account for it?
If you got those readings of the same lighting circuit, then I would say there is a fault on that circuit. Did you disconnect the earth and neutral for that circuit out of the board before testing?

Trouble is the diffence in size of cpc. 1.5mm on a 2.5mm ring (essentially 3mm) the cooker if in a 10mm t&e.. With a 4mm cpc... 6mm t&e is fine at 2.5mm cpc

As some of the more experienced have said... It is fine to use a CPC common to two or more circuits, and it complies with a regulation 543.1.2 (as long as it's CSA is sufficient).

I do find it worrying when members, some are even trusted members, give the wrong advice and give it out so quickly without giving proper thought. We all get it wrong at times, but at least lets give it some thought before we get it wrong.

It is as BL says like borrowing a neutral, as soon as that link is disconnected there could be a potential difference between the two earth conductors.
Big problem with temporary repairs is that they have a nasty habit of become permanent repairs!
Different scenario Buzz.
how can it be a different . are you saying its ok to borrow a earth knowing if their is fault to earth It want clear quicker. IMO the op needs to ring his scam and get clarification.

As some of the more experienced have said... It is fine to use a CPC common to two or more circuits, and it complies with a regulation 543.1.2 (as long as it's CSA is sufficient).

I do find it worrying when members, some are even trusted members, give the wrong advice and give it out so quickly without giving proper thought. We all get it wrong at times, but at least lets give it some thought before we get it wrong.

Thats told me then. Still think its so wrong though. :)

I agree with Westy, the circuits cannot now be independently isolated, anyone working on the RFC in the future could potentially get a shock from the cooker circuit in the event of a fault on the cooker.
Also, what has now been done must surely screw the test results for the RFC, so how do you document that in the EICR?
Correct thing to do would be to isolate the cooker circuit and label it saying it is not to be used until remedial action has been carried out and document that to the client.
I agree with Westy.

I meant Midwest... sorry Westy!

Reply to Is a borrowed earth allowed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock