Discuss Is it legal and safe? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I want to run a power supply to a shed at the end of the garden, 30+ metres away. I was planning on breaking into the existing kitchen ring main, using 4mm SWA up to the shed, to a garage Consumer Unit, and then bringing it back again to complete the ring main. I have some difficulty in getting to the original consumer unit, so was considering this a simpler option.I'm okay with the practicalities but not the technicalities and am aware it would be subject to part P testing.
Q. Is it safe/legal. Your thoughts/opinions please? If it's a no-brainer, let me know and I will re-consider the next option which is:
If I do start back from the original consumer unit, and take a lead all the way up the garden, what size SWA would you recommend? The loading in the shed is likely to be a couple of 13A sockets, a 2KW heater, a radio and some low voltage lighting (It's a nice shed)?

Thank you

GPoWB :(

thats just crazy!!! id use 6mm 3core swa on a 32amp mcb to a little 2way garage consumer unit with an rcd main switch and an earth rod and do a 20 amp radial for the sockets

more to it obviously but....

Last edited by a moderator:
can't say i've ever heard of a ring being exported to a shed! :( maybe a spur off an FCU. adam's idea's much better tbh :)....might not need the earth rod

best advice i can give...get a professional in!! even if it's just to have a look-see, tell you what wants to go where then comes back and connects it all up for u...test...certify...robert's your father's brother!

Last edited by a moderator:
right after the amendment to the the amendment to the amendment...........

thats just crazy!!! id use 6mm 3core swa on a 32amp mcb to a little 2way garage consumer unit with an rcd main switch and an earth rod and do a 20 amp radial for the sockets

more to it obviously but....

thought he couldnt get to the original consumer unit!

The ring almost certainly wouldnt comply; even under the 17th with the higher v.drop, you can only go about 109 metres with 2.5 for a ring on a TN system (using the standard table 7.1 type 'non-calc' design method), be hard to do that with 60+ metres going to the shed:p

If he can get to the exisitng CU then I agree 32A 60898 but 4mm would do up to about 75m, 6mm would be overkill

not sure about the garage spike either, unless there are extraneous paths out there, in which case spike it and dont export the house earth

Reply to Is it legal and safe? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock